Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickle Crisp after Canning?

Posted by blackcows none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 17:32

We forgot to add pickle crisp to some of our jars of pickles. Can we add it after we open them to firm up the pickles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickle Crisp after Canning?

It won't hurt to try it but I honestly doubt it will have much effect as it is a preventative, a pre-processing treatment and any softening will have already developed.

Dave

o

Dave is 100% right on. If you forgot to add it when processing, don't bother later on. It will not ever "firm up" anything that has "gone soft".
Jim in So Calif

o

• Posted by cziga Zone 5 -Toronto (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 23:18

On a slightly related note, would pickle crisp be effective for refrigerator pickles that are not being processed at all (but still as a preventative), or is the processing important?

o

Csiga,
Pickle Crisp, or generic, is usually used by me in refrigerator pickles.
Even with fermented pickles, I add generic Pickle Crisp after the fermentation period is completed at room temperature, and just before placing in the refrigerator, just as Dave suggests.
Works great.
Jim in So Calif

o

Where do you find generic Pickle Crisp? I've not heard of it. I'd love to find a cheaper generic version.

o

Where do you find generic Pickle Crisp?

A search here will pull up many discussions about it and sources for it. bulkfoods.com is a common source as is canningpantry.com

Dave

o

• Posted by cziga Zone 5 -Toronto (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 12:02

Thank you ... i tried the grape leaves last year and I'm not sure they were quite successful :) I wanted to try pickle crisp this year ut my first batch is refrigerator pickles and I just wanted to make sure ... thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here