Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Questions

Posted by missemerald 7 (Virginia) (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 18:08

PYO apple season is just getting started here in Virginia and I wondered if the very helpful folks here could help with some questions I have...

1. Which are good "keeper" apples? For instance, a local place has Golden Delicious and Gala, neither of which keep well long term (I think) but which ones do? Rome? Stayman?

2. Which apples are best for drying? I just ordered a dehydrator from Amazon and I'm very excited to be using it soon!

2. Applesauce or apple pie filling (canned, both). Does it matter which type? I don't remember my mom getting a specific apple for applesauce and she canned a lot of it, but I can't ask her as she's gone now.

Thanks so much, this website is full of very helpful folks and I have learned so much from you!

Marcy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Questions

For keeping, we always liked Winesap or Stayman apples. We used to get Baldwin apples, but I haven't seen any of those in years.

For dehydrating, any firm apple will work. I think I used Fuji or Galas last year along with some Granny Smiths.

For applesauce (I make apple butter), I use anything. Actually, I think a mixture is better. The nice man at the Farmer's Market sells me seconds - apples he doesn't want to sell because of spots, they're misshapen or whatever. I get a big bag of all different kinds.

o

Personally I never use either of the Delicious varieties for anything. There are just so many much better varieties out there.

Like malna we prefer using a broad variety of different apples for both sauce and apple butter - as many different ones as you can get. But we always include some Gala too.

Storage - of course it all depends on the storage conditions you use but we are happy with Jonathan, Cortland, Rome, Winesap, Granny Smith. As a very general rule the more round, less oval, the apple shape the longer it will store.

Dave

PS: many previous discussions here about best/favorite apple variety too that the search will pull up if interested.

o

I would also rely upon the recommendations of the growers/sellers. They know their apples best. Regional conditions can be quite different, even season to season.

Carol

o

Another general rule is the later the apple, the longer the storage.

o

I usually get Golden Delicious for fresh eating. We like the taste of those and they are very common in my area so I can get them cheap. I could get Red Delicious too but I think those are the nastiest tasting apples I've ever had and would rather have no apples than eat Red Delicious (obviously this is a personal preference but no here likes the Reds). I know I've picked up a few other varieties later in the season but I'm drawing a complete blank on them.

For applesauce my preference is Cortlands. But I let them sit out until they are getting soft (and even slightly wrinkled). It makes the sweetest applesauce, no sugar needed. I have also used Macintosh or Wolfs but I don't think the flavor is as good on those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here