Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can You Can Pesto?

Posted by spencersmom z8 Virginia Beach (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 18:11

Hola Harvest Forum!

I am going to be making some pesto this weekend and I know you can freeze it, of course you can refridgerate it.. but can you can it? Would the heat break things down into goop (for lack of a better cuilinary term)? Can I use my regular recipe or do I have to modify it?

Your assistance is appreciated! Thank you!

Erin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can You Can Pesto?

Sorry, no canning of pesto is safe. Too low in acid, it is pureed, which is a "no no".
It must be frozen to preserve it.
The commercial process and what we can do at home are two different things.

o

Most pesto (basil based?) contains olive oil too, and thats not recommended for any canning. Freezing the basil puree will work well though.

o

Ok, you have confirmed my suspicions as well as taught me a couple things. To the freezer it goes!

Thank you very much, Erin

o

freeze it in flat sheets, I put some in freezer bags and lay them sideways in the freezer, they freeze nice and thin, when you need some, you can break off as much or as little that you need

o

I have also frozen mine in ice cube trays but it's easiest for me to just toss the basil in the food processor, add enough olive oil to bind, then scoop out tablespoons full onto waxed paper on a baking sheet. Freeze until solid, then pack into a plastic box or freezer bag and take out as many as you need later.

Annie

o

I pour into a lined 8x8 pan, freeze, then cut in small cubes. Just a slightly different slant on Annie's method.

Carol

o

I freeze in a muffin tin---an old aluminum on that's fairly shallow. Then I pop out the little "pesto pucks," about 1/3 cup each (a good amount for how I cook) and wrap 'em individually.

Works great except for the fact that it always makes my husband run around singing "Pesto, pesto pucks" to the tune of "Disco Duck."

Zabby

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here