Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsandyarn

Do I Need to Pitch These Dill Pickles?

PlantsAndYarn
10 years ago

I made 6 quarts & 1 pint of dill pickles using Mrs Wages spice/pickle package. Everything was going great. Cukes sliced, soaked. Added pickle crisp to the jars, used the correct amount of vinegar/water (per package instructions). Water in stock pot was at a good, hard rolling boil when I put the jars in there. Then it took forever to get the water back up to a solid boil. All total the jars were in the water for at least 20-25 minutes before the hard boil of 10 minutes, plus 5 min. in the pot with the lid on/heat off before I removed them. All the jars had the liquid still bubbling when I removed them and I heard all the jars ping.
I couldn't figure out why it took so long to come to boil and I think I just figured it out. DH came home in the middle of the process (distracting me). The package says the brine/juice is to be near boiling. Well, I know it was pretty hot, but now I am not sure how hot. Five hours after removing them the jars are still pretty warm to the touch. So if the brine/juice was not "near boiling", does this mean I have to pitch them all?

Comments (7)