Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francienolan

Question about pear preserves

francienolan
15 years ago

I've never made preserves before, always jams or jellies, but I want to make pear preserves this year. I have the following recipe:

6 lbs pears

10 cups sugar

4 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions:

Peel and dice pears. Put in large pot and cover with sugar. Let set overnight. The next day, add lemon juice and bring to a rapid boil. Turn heat to low and let slow cook 5 to 6 hours, till it turns light brown. Bring back to a boil and quickly ladle into jars. Process for 20 minutes in boiling water bath.

My question is: Would it be possible to use the crock pot for the 5 - 6 hours of slow cooking? I could stir it occasionally, but it seems to me (if it's safe) that it would be a lot more energy-efficient way to cook the pears. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I know some use their crock pot for making apple butter but I have never had much luck with it. Likely it depends on the pot itself but neither of my crock pots will get hot enough even on high to get it to thicken as needed - stove works much better and faster. Plus you would then have to use another pot to bring it to a boil both times.

Guess you could give it a try and see how it works for you. There is no safety issue involved.

Dave

• francienolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dave. I have two crock pots and the newest one gets hot enough to boil on the highest setting. Since I'll be home anyway, I think I'll try it in the crock pot at least for the first few hours, then switch back to the stove if necessary. Of course, the two pots to wash is a bit of a concern. LOL

5 - 6 hours of pot-watching seems like a long time to me. Does that sound reasonable for pears? As I said, I've never made preserves before, so I'm kinda lost on this one.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

5-6 hours will make a very concentrated and quite possbily burned and scorched pear. If you want it spreadable, it may be wise to use a pectin based recipe, where all that long cooking isn't necessary. My old crock pot would never get past about 210 degrees and would barely simmer anything.

• francienolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks...I appreciate your help! I called my MIL, who used to make the very best pear preserves in the world, but she wasn't much help, bless her heart. :-) She never measured anything, and can't remember how long she cooked it. "Until it was like I wanted it," was her response to my question.

The best way I can think to describe hers was a very chunky syrup - mostly thin chunks of fruit, still a bit firm, with a very thick syrup, rather than a spreadable jam-like texture.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

You might want to check out this recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pear Preserves from NCHFP

• annie1992
    15 years ago

willow, I think what you are going to get is going to be more like a fruit butter and less like chunks in syrup.

I use a no-pectin recipe given to me by Readinglady, I think it was her late MIL's. At any rate it makes the best pear preserves I've ever had, bar none. I've reduced the sugar a bit successfully but if I were you I'd go with the full sugar proportions until you are familiar with the recipe and/or if you want to take that chance on compromising your jell.

the notes and instructions are Carol's (Readinglady).

Old Fashioned Pear Preserves from Carol (Readinglady)

Yu can also make Pear Preserves if you want chunks of pear suspended in syrup. By weight use equal amounts of pears and sugar. You also need the juice and seeds of one lemon. I wouldn't go over about 4 pounds of fruit because it takes too long to cook larger amounts. This takes several days, but it's mainly waiting and the results are wonderful. Here's what you do:

Day 1: Peel, core and cut firm-ripe pears into chunks or slices. Leave pieces large enough to retain character in preserves. Place pears in acidified water (Fruit Fresh or Ascorbic Acid).

Rinse and drain pears. Place in large bowl and add sugar equal in weight to pears. Add juice of lemon and place pips (seeds) in small bag. It's messy but I also add any of the pulp that was reamed out. Add to bowl. Stir gently
    to distribute syrup and refrigerate overnight. Throughout evening stir occasionally to distribute sugar. (I usually don't do this more than once.)

Day 2: Place macerated pears and sugar syrup with lemon seeds in bag in large pan. Bring to a boil and cook about 10 minutes, skimming foam. Reduce temperature and continue to cook (about 20 minutes) until pears are translucent and candied. Turn off heat and leave pears and syrup overnight.
    (This can be room temperature.) Cover pan with a cloth, not a lid (to prevent condensation).

Day 3: Using a slotted spoon lift pears from syrup and place in a strainer. Collect any additional syrup in a bowl beneath the strainer. (I drained syrup left in pan into a bowl and washed the pan because the syrup was
    crystallized along the rim then I put the syrup back.) Bring syrup to a boil and cook to gel point stirring frequently. (Depending on how thick you want the syrup, this can be anywhere from 218-222.) You can also use the frozen plate test.

The advantage is you get to thicken the syrup just the way you like without cooking the delicate pears to the point of disintegration.

Return the pears to syrup and boil 1 minute to reheat them. Pull off heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (This allows fruit to equalize with the syrup so it doesn't float to the top of the jar.)

Place preserves in sterilized jars and BWB 5 minutes or clean, hot jars and BWB 10 minutes.

This recipe is my favorite jam recipe, ever, one of those "OMG, how did I miss out on this" preserves. It's one of the few preserves I make that I don't share, it's ALL MINE!!!

Annie

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Thank you for the compliment, Annie. It's quite an accolade coming from such an experienced preserver.

Willowdee, my MIL's pear preserves sound very much like the ones you describe and I do have the recipe, if you'd like it. The recipe Annie posted is my original, which I prefer, but if you're looking for something just like your MIL made, they won't be it. My dear MIL made hers just like you describe.

With the long cooking of your MIL's recipe you'll have a darker preserve. The pears will be in chunks but they'll have a slightly different texture than in my preserves, softer, less "candied." One possibility is to try both methods with small batches and see which you like best. Preserves are very individual; we all have our likes and dislikes.

I agree with others, though. 5-6 hours for your MIL's preserve sounds far too long unless you're cooking at a very low temperature, lid off to evaporate the water. A crock pot will keep the liquid in. Most summer pears would disintegrate.

Carol

• francienolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much to both of you, Annie & LindaLou. I tried the recipe I posted and wound up with 3 pints of too-soupy preserves and a quart of what I'm choosing to call pear honey. :-) This was after simmering for 4 hours. And you're right...the pears are a bit on the mushy side. LindaLou, your "candied" texture actually sounds more like what I'm looking for.

I've just finished up canning 12 quarts of pears, so don't have any more right now. But MIL has a pear tree, so I will be getting some more and this time I'm going to try the recipe you posted, Annie. Thanks, LindaLou, for offering your MIL's recipe, but yours actually sound much better! I'll let you know how they turn out.

• francienolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops - I'm so sorry! I don't see an edit feature, so I want to apologize for getting mixed up on whose recipe was posted.

Just substitute Carol for LindaLou, and that's what I meant. :-o

• readinglady
    15 years ago

That's OK. Let us know if you have other questions.

If you decide to try your MIL's recipe again it requires quick cooking at a higher heat. The slow-cook method just won't get you where you want to be.

It takes a good heavy pan to prevent scorching, bring up to heat slowly to dissolve sugar fully and then cook at medium-high until preserves reach the desired thickness.

Carol (pseudonym LindaLou, LOL)

• rjmont
    8 years ago

My MIL slices enough pears to fill a large blue speckled roasting pan, completely covers them with sugar, puts the lid on and cooks in the oven overnight. She gets up to stir every couple of hours. (Or daytime if you don't work)she then puts them in jars and freezes them. They stay a nice color and are very good.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions