Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
commgardener11

Tomato puree and leftover Q's

commgardener11
10 years ago

I finally bought/used my fruit/veggie strainer attachment for my kitchenaid mixer (why did I WAIT so long?) for making tomato puree, and I have a few questions.

1. I mixed my tomato varieties, about 1/2 plum, so it's a little more watery. I'm pretty sure the answer to this is, "No," but can I add a bit more tomato puree to a recipe that calls for 8 cups plum tomato puree, then cook down to evaporate some of the water?

2. What can I do with all the leftover seeds/skin?

TIA for the feedback!!

Comments (9)

• commgardener11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I have one more question.

Is there a canning bloody mary mix recipe out there I can use the pureed tomatoes in? thnx

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

"No," but can I add a bit more tomato puree to a recipe that calls for 8 cups plum tomato puree, then cook down to evaporate some of the water?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand your question. "Puree" is an unusual term in canning. It tends to set off alarm bells as most "pureed" foods cannot be canned because of density issues.

So are we just talking about plain old tomato sauce or what?

Is this recipe you are making something to be canned? I'm not familiar with any canning recipe that calls for "8 cups of plum tomato puree" and it is the recipe itself, it's pH and density and other ingredients that will determine if you can add more to it or not. So we'd need to know more about exactly what it is you are trying to do and the recipe you are using please.

As for the seeds and skins, they go to the compost pile.

Bloody Mary mix? Do you mean a seasoned tomato juice (not puree) that can be canned and used to make Bloody Mary's later? If so, yes there is a V8 juice type recipe available if that is what you mean. Otherwise most can their tomato juice plain and season it for Bloody Marys after opening the jars.

More clarification please.

Dave

• commgardener11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To clarify, I quartered the tomatoes and put through the vegetable strainer attachment on my kitchenaid stand mixer.

I'm using the Ball Book, and it calls this method "puree." The 8 cups refers to the Italian-Style Tomato Sauce in the book.

I've seen bloody mary mix that can be canned (here's an example: http://www.sbcanning.com/2012/07/homemade-bloody-mary-mix.html ), but this calls for whole tomatoes, then blend all ingredients later. Since I've pureed (or put them through a strainer) my tomatoes, I'm wondering if there is a bloody mary mix recipe I can use them with.

If no, than is the "Tomato Juice" recipe in the Ball book a "V8 style" you're talking about? I don't care for V8, but I love me some vodka loaded bloody mary's! :)

This post was edited by commgardener11 on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 19:34

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ok, for other readers, we are talking about the Ball Complete Book rther than the BBB and the recipe is page 365. This is a low-acid recipe that has been modified with the addition of lemon juice to make it safe for BWB processing rather than the standard recipe that calls for pressure canning.

commgardener11 - note the warning on the side notes - "do not alter the ingredients or quantities as this may result in an unsafe product." So as you suspected the answer to your question about the addition is no. The pH would be altered.

What you can do is refrigerate 8 cups of the sauce overnight and allow it to separate, then skim off some the water and add enough of the puree to bring it back up to the 8 cups, ok?

The bloody mary mix recipe you linked is someone's made-up recipe and has never been tested for safety. It is a do at your own risk project.

The Tomato Juice recipe in the Ball Complete Book is a plain tomato juice recipe. The Garden Juice Blend one is in the BBB but itis a V* type.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

NCHFP has a Tomato and Vegetable Juice Blend that can be BWBed, that might be good in Bloody Marys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato-Veg Juice

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Ok, since I have the attachment that you are talking about I can answer that question. the strainer strains very thinly. Almost water only. What I do, is to take the peelings and such (you know what I mean) and strain them at least 2-3 times more. That will add some pulp, but it will still be thin with some pulp. Not near thick enough to cause problems with density.

Then I cook it down in my roaster to a thicker density, but still very pourable, like milk consistency, versus water.

The other questions, I can't answer, but the Kitchenaid is a totally different machine than any out there.

The final running of the seeds/peelings should go to the compost. If you had seeded and peeled, you could dry the remainder.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Posted by commgardener11 none (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 18:46

I finally bought/used my fruit/veggie strainer attachment for my kitchenaid mixer (why did I WAIT so long?) for making tomato puree, and I have a few questions

would you please tell us WHAT BRAND is it and where you bought it from ?
    I use a tightly woven cotton fabric bag.
    After I have strained and separated the skin, seeds, ...I then pour it in the bag and hang it. On water(with hardly any color) comes out. I can use it as drink or make soup with it.
    When the must in the bag rach reache a certain thickness, empty it into a pot and process it into sauce or paste. This way I save a lot of energy and time to thicken the sauce.

but I am interested in that gadget now.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

It is a Kitchenaid, that goes onto a Kitchenaid mixer. You can purchase the attachment many places besides Kitchenaid, but you must have the mixer also. I advise you to purchase the heavier duty mixer, not just the K45. The lower wattage machines will wear out much faster than the heavier (higher wattage) machines. My mother's have lasted her lifetime, purchased in 1950. I have wore a few used ones out, tho. I'm much harder on them than she is.

Here is a link from Kitchenaid. Yes it is expensive, but well worth the price if you are planning on doing much. No more hand cranking. I will not be without mine. Once you use one, you will love it.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countertop-appliances-1/countertop-appliances-2/stand-mixer-attachments-3/-[FVSFGA]-400002/FVSFGA/

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

:) double post

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 19:52

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm