Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chinese long beans dehydrating them and green peppers...

Posted by jeanwedding 6 ky (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 18:47

I cant eat them fast enough. Just picked over 100 in my small row against fence....
Dont want to can in this heat. would have to do all myself...
so do I need to steam blanch then dehydrate... The book from 80s mention sodium bisulfite... Wilkapedia said it cause problems in the 1980,s......
So can I use citric acid. Bought a jar couple years ago never used it.....
Please chime in one and all.. bought a nice boxy used dehydrator week ago.....
Thanks yall
Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chinese long beans dehydrating them and green peppers...

Citric acid, Fruit Fresh, lemon juice, crushed Vit. C tabs, etc. all work for color preservation. I get the best results with Fruit Fresh mixed per the label.

I've never tried drying green beans. When we don't have time to can them we freeze them. Easy and fast and good quality.

Peppers dehydrate ok if cut into small pieces but you end up with small bits of pepper. They too freeze so easily that is what we do when they get ahead of us.

Check out all the how-to dehydrate info at NCHFP for detailed instructions.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Dehydrating Foods

o
RE: chinese long beans dehydrating them and green peppers...

We grow these often, and there are a couple of pounds of them in the fridge. I steam blanch them about 6 minutes -- two minutes longer than regular green beans, and then freeze them. If I were drying them, I would definitely blanch them first. This year we have a green variety, but I like the reds best because they hold their color after blanching.

To eat 'em up fresh, I've been playing with Indian spice blends like garam marsala in veggie stews heavy with yard long beans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here