Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have a tried-n-true Raisin pie filling

Posted by momagain1 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 18:48

I am having "THE" hardest time locating a raisin pie filling that I can process to give out as gifts.

I thought maybe the grape pie, as they will "sorta" reconstitute to grapelike consistency, but not quite.

Ideas?

I have about 50 lbs of raisins to find something to do with!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have a tried-n-true Raisin pie filling

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 11:16

I hoped someone would offer a tried and true recipe for you. I can't because raisin pie has never been a favorite of ours but I see there are many "favorite raisin pie" recipes available via Google.

In theory you could can any of them as long as you don't include any of the cornstarch or flour they call for but use Clear jel instead.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning pie fillings

o

I particularly like the Ball Blue Book recipe for pear mincemeat that includes 7 lbs of pears and 2 pounds of raisins. I don't know how you're going to use 50 pounds of raisins! We like pear mincemeat (no meat in this recipe), and you can use the jar of pie filling for either making pies or mincemeat bars.

Good luck!

Jill

o

ok I took a regular raisin pie recipe and subbed out the cornstarch for surejel & canned it for the length of fruit pie fillings.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 14:02

subbed out the cornstarch for surejel

Surejel or Clear Jel? Big difference.

Dave

o

I always get the names mixed up; the one specifically to make pie fillings :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here