Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdf2013

Canning Veggies

sdf2013
10 years ago

So this is my first year canning and I started with green beans. I had my mom help me because she is a long time canner. She told me to pressure cook my beans at 10 lbs for 10 mins. That is the time she and my grandma have always used. After making a couple of batches I read in my pressure cooker's manual to do 11 lbs for 20 mins for green beans. My question is why does the manual say for so long? Is that the time it takes to kill the botulism or is that just what is needed for cooked beans? Like I said, my mom has always used that time and we have never gotten sick. I hate to question my mom's method but I don't want to get my family sick either. Also, can I boil the beans before we eat them as an extra safety measure?

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Green bean processing time has been 20 min for pints and 25 mins for quarts for decades. Sorry Mom, but many things have changed over the past 20-30 years. And they have really changed since Grandmas time.

The weight depends on your altitude. 10 lbs if you use a weight canner, 11 pounds if you use a gauged canner.

The purpose is to kill any botulism spores and there have been at least 3 cases of botulism from green beans that we have discussed here in just the past year.

And for future reference how to properly use a pressure canner guidelines have changed too which is why using the canner manual isn't recommended as most are outdated.

What to do with those beans all depends on if you want to abide by the current guidelines or not. They are considered under-processed and if less than 24 hours old need to be re-processed. If more than 24 hours old they should be disposed of.

Please invest in a current copy of the Ball Blue Book of Canning or better yet, explore all the resources provided online at NCHFP including the changes in pressure canner use.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - how to can green beans

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Here is another link that you should find really helpful.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Guidelines for Canning Vegetables

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Boiling will kill any botulism toxins which might be present in the beans. It will not kill the spores themselves, but a lot of people avoid sickness because they cook their beans after opening for a long time.

The fact that nobody died or got ill from a previous method doesn't mean that it's "safe" per se. One family is a very small sample, and it's like a lottery or any other gamble as to whether someone gets sick or not.

P.S. The recommended processing time for green beans in my 1948 canning book is 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts. So that's been the standard for 65 years.

The first recommendation I know of for pressure canning green beans was a USDA Farm Bulletin 1917. And then the time was even longer, 45 minutes for a No. 2 can (20 oz.).

I have no idea where the 10 minute time could have come from.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Probably came from what it might have taken for the seals to pop.

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

In your message it says "pressure cooker" manual. I do hope you are using a CANNER and not a COOKER.
    I know the boxes do say cooker/canner on some of them. My Presto 23 qt. does. Just insuring you are using a canner.

• sdf2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the links and information. From now on I will go with the longer cook time. And yes, it is a cooker/canner. So I really don't want to throw out the beans because I did a couple of batches. Carol said boiling will kill toxins but no spores. Is it likely the undercooked batches have spores? Would I be safe to boil them?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Is it likely the undercooked batches have spores? Would I be safe to boil them?

Yes the spores are in the soil and the air around us and unfortunately green beans is high on the list of possible sources.

And boiling them for a minimum of 10 min will destroy the toxin making them safe to eat however you must be extremely careful when opening the jars to avoid contamination of utensils, hands, countertops etc. That is why the guidelines recommend disposal of the jars unopened.

Dave

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals