Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused about canning dried beans

Posted by Tracy93 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 19:02

According to Ball BB it calls for 2 1/4 pounds of beans (Kidney beans in this case) per quart. That sounds like an awful lot of beans to jam into a quart jar considering the beans are not fully re-hydrated, just soaked then boiled for 1 hour.

How do you who have experience prepare dried beans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused about canning dried beans

I have another question: In my store bought Kidney beans I see calcium chloride as an ingredient. I know it can be used when making pickles to keep them firm, can it be used in beans to keep them from becoming mushy? I like firm beans for chili and soups since we usually have 2 or three meals out of a pot.

What measurement would I use per quart?

o

I think we have agreed in the past that is a typo that didn't get caught in the last revision.

As of 2009 revision NCHFP says "Quantity: An average of 5 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 3 1/4 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints--an average of 3/4 pounds per quart."

Personally for kidney beans I think that is a low total as it will be more like 5 lbs of kidneys will yield more like 9 quarts when packed properly.

Check this discussion from a couple of days ago on proper jar filling.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning dried beans

o
RE: CaCl

I use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per quart depending on the type and size of bean but you can use however much you want up to the standard label dose of 1 tsp. per quart. It is a to your preference sort of thing.

Kidney beans are large and firm anyway so 1/4 tsp. should be enough. Pintos need a bit more IMO.

CaCl can be used in anything.

o

Thank you for answering. Being new to canning, I wasn't aware it was a typo. I appreciate you clarifying the amounts. I will read the discussion about packing the jars.

Digdirt - Thank you for the information on the calcium chloride. I'll pick some up before the bean canning begins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here