Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavens123

Victorio motorized strainer vs. Omaz

heavens123
9 years ago

I'm about to buy my first electric strainer. I can get a Victorio with the motor and the full set of four screens for about $140 new. Additionally, I just found on our local Craigslist someone that is selling an Omaz 1/2 horsepower tomato strainer in good condition, $125 used.

They are each appealing for different reasons. I like the idea of having different screens as in the Victorio, although I'm not sure if I'll actually use more than the salsa screen. I generally like my salsa even chunkier, but am tempted to let that go in the interest of making life easier. I'm thinking about using the salsa screen to make spaghetti sauce. Even though it leaves in many seeds, I like the idea of it being chunkier too.I've generally just mashed berries, but may use the berry screen, don't know.

For the Omaz, that is a heavier duty machine, made in Italy with a cast iron body. Originally $400, can get a good used one for $125. But it doesn't seem to have been made with a spash guard for the top of the screen. Could be very messy. Also doesn't have any other screens available.

Mostly I'll be canning spaghetti sauce, chili base and salsa. I also do lots of jams and sauces but have no need of a strainer for those.

Which would you go with and why? Feel free to chime in as I upgrade to an electric model finally! Thanks.

Comments (2)