Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolverine1012

A&W Red sauce

wolverine1012
10 years ago

Long ago, when going to an A&W meant car service, the hot dogs were served with what they called a red sauce. It was nothing like any catsup that comes out of a bottle, but had visible seeds (like celery seed) in it.

I've tried to duplicate, but have wasted too many good tomatoes. Might anyone have a recipe?

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yeah Taste of Home published it several years back. See link below. Not not for canning, fresh use only although you could freeze it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: A&W Red Sauce recipe

• wolverine1012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The sauce that I had contained no meat. I suppose that if you left the ground beef out, you could can it safely--especially if you pressure can it.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ok if you don't want the A&W Coney Dog Red Sauce then:

A&W HOT DOG SAUCE

1 can (32 oz) tomato paste
    1 can (32 oz) tomato puree
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 tbsp plus 1 tsp cider vinegar
    1 1/2 tbsp plus 1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tbsp celery seed

Place all the listed ingredients in a blender and then cook on very low heat for at least 3 hours.
    _____

If you Google 'A&W Red Sauce' you'll find all sorts of links to the above recipe from several different sources.

As for canning it, it is probably ok but it has never been tested so is a do-at-your-own-risk thing.

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I don't remember eating that red sauce. I guess my experience with A&W eons ago was limited to the root beer floats.

But I did find several interviews online with the granddaughter and the son of the original inventor of the sauce. She said her grandmother created the recipe because her grandfather didn't like the taste of commercial ketchup.

The family recipe still sold in Michigan supposedly has no sugar (though it may have some alternate sweetener).

Also in several interviews she said there was "no vinegar" and in another interview she said it had "little vinegar" because her grandfather didn't like the taste of vinegar either (picky gentleman).

Of course, again that doesn't preclude something like lemon juice.

Carol

• wolverine1012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Dave and Carol, for the responses. I guess I've got some more experimenting to do.

• tinabeals
    9 years ago

Yes, if I'm right they use to sell what they called sauce buns for people that didn't want the hot dog just the bun and sauce. I have been looking for that recipe for years.They had one in Kankakee,Il and one in Bourbonnais,Il. They are now named Jaenicke's Drive In - Bourbonnais, IL. Same sauce and still can't get the recipe.

• Stephen Boone
    3 years ago

The orginal "Red Sauce" does not have sugar or vinegar.

• Bridget Estep
    2 years ago

You will know if it's right when you can smeell it it I tried several receipt but none tasted or smelt like the original