Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dried Apricots

Posted by OldHippieMomma 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 19:16

Hi - I have a bumper crop of apricots this year so I decided to try drying some. I am using a Nesco/American Harvester FD80 dehydrator.

I cut the apricots in half, soaked them in a fruit fresh solution then laid them flesh down on the trays. I set the temperature to 130 degrees. It's been about 20+ hours so far and I seem to be getting mixed results plus none of them are really dry enough yet. As you can see in the photo, some of them spread and have thin, dry, dark edges and some of them are still really moist.

I've tried to find some info on drying them but most of what I have found was pretty basic and vague. So, can any of you tell me if they look right? Should i have placed them on the tray cut side up? Do they need a lower/higher temp? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dried Apricots

I would turn them over. I always dry fruits with a "skin" with the cavity up. It keeps the flesh contained. Yours will be fine though.
Keep going, they are awfully thick so need to make sure you have enough moisture removed. They should be leathery when done. The drier parts will rehydrate some when you put them all together in in a bag or jar.

Deanna

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 15:33

For the next batch see the instructions in the article linked below - scroll down to Drying part. Sulfuring them first gives the best results and definitely face up.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Dehydrating Apricots

o

I know this is a little late for this year because in most places apricots are long gone but I had a little advice to help you dry your apricots. We sold U-pick fruit for many years and I was complaining to one of our u-pickers about the same problem. She said just turn them inside out. She meant to put your thumbs in the skin side of the apricot half and push up. This breaks apart the tissue connections on the inside of the apricot and makes it dry twice as fast. You still dry them face up.

o

Thanks for the help. I dried the second batch skin side down and they came out much better. I don't want to use sulphur so the skin is really dark but they still taste yummy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here