Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksprairie_gw

BBB Green Pepper Jelly

KSprairie
9 years ago

I am looking at the Green Pepper Jelly recipe in the BBB Guide to Preserving, pg 36. The recipe uses Classic pectin, 6 Tbs. I have Ball Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin on hand, but not the classic. Any advice for using my Low-No pectin instead of the regular pectin? With pepper jellies, we don't usually prefer a real firm set, if that makes any difference. A softer set seems to be more spreadable.
thanks!

Comments (9)

• malna
    9 years ago

Ball has a pepper jelly on their site using the low/no sugar pectin. It's slightly different, but that might give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Pepper Jelly

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

There is an old jelly making rule that pectin can't (or shouldn't) be substituted one for another. The results if you do it will always be a surprise and 9 times out of 10 a bad surprise.

So the guideline is if you only have a specific type of pectin available either find a recipe that uses that kind of pectin or make a trip to the store. :)

Dave

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you malna and Dave!

I've been trying to make recipes using the Low-No sugar pectin to cut down on the amount of sugar I use, so that's what I have been stocking. Looks like I should keep some classic pectin on hand for when I come across recipes that call for that specifically. I couldn't use the Ball Pepper Jelly recipe either, because we are out of honey! Good thing I am going to town today. Thanks again!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

The no-sugar pectin can be used instead of the "Classic", it's the powdered and liquid forms that shouldn't be substituted for the other.

I only use the Low-sugar pectin, to start with try cutting the amount of sugar in half, otherwise follow the recipe that calls for the Classic pectin.

You don't need the honey if you do follow the low-sugar recipe, it's just for taste, you don't need to increase the sugar either, just omit the honey.

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ajsmama,
    Thanks for the tip on the honey and Low-sugar pectin. Good to know! I should probably make a small batch recipe the way it is written so I know how it should turn out. Then compare to how we like it using less sugar and the Low-sugar pectin.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The reason many don't recommend subbing the lo/no sugar pectin for standard pectin is because of the type of set. You specifically mentioned you wanted a softer set. The lo/no sugar pectin when subbed in equal amounts gives a very firm set.

It is more concentrated, has to be, to compensate for the lack of sugar in its recipes. Bottom line it doesn't work like standard pectin that is mixed with sugar.

Now if quality of set is of no concern to you then sure you can sub it and the big advantage to it is you don't have to use any sugar at all if you wish.

Dave

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave,
    Thank you for those details. That makes sense.
    I picked up classic pectin today, so I am going to make one batch using that and use it as my standard to compare other sets.
    Do you think experimenting with a decreased amount of lo/no sugar pectin (and say maybe 1/2 the sugar) would achieve a softer set? I might try that and see how it goes.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I like a soft set for pepper jelly too, and use the low sugar pectin. I don't recall off the top of my head how much I used last time I made it (a couple of years ago) and how it compared to full sugar version. I think I would use 1/2 package (that was back before they sold in canisters) to get the soft set. But I still think you should experiment to see how much pectin and sugar you like if you want to modify a "classic" recipe.

You don't have to use honey, and can use less sugar if you want, in the low sugar recipe.

DD made Candy Apple Jelly last Oct for grange fair using Sure jell full-sugar pectin and it was setting up in the pan after I took it off the burner! I think the full sugar versions set very stiff.

Sorry, it's been a while since I made pepper jelly - or any jelly with store-bought pectin.

EDIT:

I commented last year on the article linked that 1-1.5Tbsp per batch instead of the full 1.75oz package gave me the set I wanted (I think I used half the sugar for any given "classic" recipe). HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda Ziedrich's experiments with pectin

This post was edited by ajsmama on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 10:51

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read Linda Ziedrich's article. Thank you so much. That was really informative. I need to buy her books! Thank you also for your tips on sugar and pection amounts. Gives me a good place to start.

I've been curious about the relationships between natural pectin levels, amount of sugar and acid you add, and the cooking times and how that affects a recipe. I want to learn more about this, it is so interesting!
    Last year I picked some wild plums and made syrup. Except that the syrup set up to a VERY firm jelly, this with only the addition of sugar. I went really light on the sugar too. My kids said it wasn't sweet enough. The wild plums here (Prunus americana) can be very tart, even when fully ripe.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH