Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Mustard pickles

gardengalrn
9 years ago

This isn't a question but more of a statement. A few weeks ago I had a bounty of cucumbers and had already made all the sour type pickles I thought I wanted. I'm not a fan of sweet pickles unless they are chunked up in something as more of a seasoning. Anyway, I stumbled onto to Ball's recipe for Mustard Pickles. I wasn't sure I cared a lot for them at the time but I just opened a jar and now that they've sat for a few weeks....DELISH! I would say they are sweet but with a good depth of flavor and none of the cloying spices I dislike. Just a recommendation for older or a glut of cucumbers. Lori

Comments (11)

• ahbee01
    9 years ago

I just made mustardy peppers hope they are just as good! They will be entered at the fair!

• ahbee01
    9 years ago

I just made mustardy peppers hope they are just as good! They will be entered at the fair!

• cannond
    9 years ago

Lori, based on your rave review, I made these this morning. They may be my new favorites. My foodie daughters will love them. Thanks.

Deborah

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I found Mustard Beans in the Ball Complete book. Where did you find recipe for Mustard (cucumber) Pickles? I'm wondering if you just sub cucumber chunks for the beans?

I've still got dills and bread-and-butters left from last year (maybe even 2012!) so looking for something new to do with the few pickling cukes I've got (its been a bad year for cukes and melons, zucchini seems to be doing OK).

I have 8 pints of pickled beans (Ellie Topp's Lemon Spiced Pickled Beans) done plus some 12 oz jars of dilly beans so most likely won't try mustard beans. We prefer our beans blanched and frozen.

• cannond
    9 years ago

ajsmama, I used the ball blue book, which calls for cauliflower and peppers. I left out the cauliflower since I didn't grow any.

Deborah

• cannond
    9 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't very clear:

cucumbers, onions, peppers, cauliflower, salt, sugar, vinegar, turmeric, flour (hard to believe, I know) ...you get the idea. I used everything but the cauliflower.

Deborah

• cme1
    9 years ago

Could someone please post the Ball recipe that you used? I might get one more cuke harvest and these sound tasty :)

• cannond
    9 years ago

Mustard Pickles Ball Blue Book

1 1/2 lbs 3-4" cucumbers, cut into 1/2" slices
    1 quart green tomato wedges (about 6 medium)
    3 Cups cauliflowerets (about 1 small head)
    3 Cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 3 medium)
    3 Cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 3 medium)
    2 Cups peeled pickling onions
    1 Cup canning salt
    4 Quarts plus 1/2 cup water, divided
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 Cup flour
    1 tablespoon turmeric
    1/2 cup prepared mustard
    5 cups vinegar

Combine vegetables in large bowl. Dissolve salt in 4 quarts water. Pour salt water over vegetables, let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place.

Drain, rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine sugar, flour, and turmeric in a large sauce-pot. Gradually add 1/2 cup water, stirring until smooth. Stir in mustard and vinegar.

Cook until sauce coats spoon and mixture thickens. Add vegetables, simmer 15 minutes.

Pack hot pickles and liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head-space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints and quarts 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield about 8 pints or 4 quarts.

Now, to be honest, I copied this from a two year old post here in the Harvest Forum. It is exactly the same as my Ball Blue Book recipe.

I used 3 sliced onions, 1 pound of peppers, 4.5 pounds of cucumbers,.

Deborah

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Looks like it is very similar recipe as the one at NCHFP with mustard.

Dave

cme1 - if you don't have a copy of the Ball Blue Book and plan to do any canning you really need to get one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Mixed Vegetables (with Mustard)

• cannond
    9 years ago

Dave, that NCHFP recipe looks interesting. I noticed there's no thickening agent.

There are a couple of things I like about the Blue Book recipe.

A. The vegetables are covered with salted water. No need for ice or refrigeration.

B. The flour forms a sauce that clings to the pickles.

C. Clear Gel, (is that the name?) isn't used. I don't like that stuff and it's hard to obtain around here anyway.

I need to get a new Blue Book. I don't know when the latest version was published, but I hope this recipe wasn't eliminated.

Deborah

• cme1
    9 years ago

Thanks for the recipe, cannond!

Dave, I have the Bernardin canning book, which I beleive is nearly identical to the Ball Book. My book has a mustard pickle recipe, but it calls for ClearGel instead of flour, and I have never seen that product in my life. I have seen versions with flour, like cannod's (Ball's) but wanted to be sure that it was an approved recipe. I know that ClearGel is the most current gelling agent, but in its absence I'll work with an old standby :)

(And yes, I plan to do a fair bit of canning - I've already put up nearly 300 jars this summer - cinnamon peaches and stewed rhubarb today - and much left to do yet! ;)