Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allyn12

Can I reuse water in canner?

allyn12
10 years ago

I have BWB'd a batch of tomatoes and three hours later I want to process a couple quarts of pickles. Do I need to dump my water and wash canner and start fresh?
Thank you, you folks are super.

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Assuming it is still clean, sure.

Dave

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Yes, I use the same pot of water for canning same day. I supposed I could even use it the next day, but I like to finish by washing out the canner and letting it dry overnight. I don't know if there is any science behind that, our water quality is good here, no hard minerals to discolor - just seems more sanitary and since I'd have to reheat the next day I'm not saving energy by holding the water longer than a days worth of canning.

I like to check the water in the canner, make sure it still looks clean, not colored, no siphoning or bits of anything from the first batch - that water that looks as clean when a load has finished processing is my personal guide of how well I've done :) If it looks clean, I'm going to reuse it.

..... adding if I need to compensate for any lost to steam.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I also re=use the water in either of my canners, replenishing when needed. No need to waste water in my opinion, I live too long paying a water bill or packing water to waste much.

Each day, I do change out the water, just me too.