Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balloonflower

Canned raspberry flavored peaches?

balloonflower
10 years ago

I love the store bought raspberry flavored sliced peaches and was wondering if I could replicate it with my canned peaches this year by adding raspberry extract or something similar to my sugar syrup. I have canned with juice in the past, but this time am looking to use medium syrup to have a longer shelf life. Any suggestions or is this a bad idea. I'm only doing one set of 7 quarts this year, so I don't have much room for experimentation.

I do add Chambord liqueur to my peach jam for more complex flavor, but since my toddlers will be eating the peaches, I don't really want to go that route (I figure the amt of alcohol they might get in jam is pretty miniscule so don't worry there).

Comments (11)

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

Yes, it is safe to add the extract.

• balloonflower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I was thinking that it wouldn't upset the balance and acidity (especially with fruit and sugar syrup) but it's nice to have backup on that. I'll try with a jar or two for starters.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

So glad someone asked this question, I love the raspberry peaches and still have some more peaches to do up.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Be careful about the flavoring you add. It's easy to overdo and some of those raspberry extracts have artificial ingredients which can become bitter during shelf storage.

Another option, if you ever freeze raspberries, is to save the leftover juice and use it in your canning. Of course you'd have to accept pink peaches but I think in a light or medium syrup the flavor would be stellar.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol, to me that would be a better option, I should have saved some of my wild black raspberry juice, instead of selling ALL of it as jams. Next year.

• Christine Wannberg
    6 years ago

Can you post the recipe that you used? How did it taste? I'd like to try it. My mother loves peaches flavored with raspberries

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

It isn't a recipe per se Christine. It is just either raspberry flavoring/extract to taste or raspberry juice added to the standard medium canning syrup you make up for canning the peaches. But as mentioned above, go easy on the extracts as they can get bitter during shelf storage.

Dave

• Siobhan101
    6 years ago

So would I just replace some of the water in my syrup with raspberry juice? Has anyone tried this? I have lots of peaches and my raspberry bushes are apparently getting their second wind, so it seems like a perfect combo to me!

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

It would depend on how much raspberry flavor you want - raspberry syrup with some peaches in it or peaches with some raspberry flavor. ;-)

Seriously it is just a "to taste" thing and depends in part on which of the packing syrup levels you use.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/syrups.html

If using juice rather than extract, personally I wouldn't replace any of the water in my syrup (I use medium). I'd just add about 1/2 cup of the rasp juice to the syrup mix, cool a bit of it to taste and then add a bit more if I wanted a stronger rasp flavor. Keep in mind it will get a bit stronger during storage.

Dave

• Siobhan101
    6 years ago

Thank you for the response! I will report back if I try it!

• Siobhan101
    6 years ago

I canned 7 pints of peaches in raspberry syrup this weekend. I used medium syrup and used about a half cup of raspberry juice. Tried a slice out of the pot and it tasted good, but I'll have to report back this fall/winter when I open one. This was my first time canning fruit in syrup, and I did have some siphoning, but not too bad and all the jars sealed. Had a bit of extra syrup at the end and it made a great cocktail!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County