Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connie0751

Package dill pickle mix -Ball or Mrs. Wage's

connie0751
12 years ago

Over 20 yrs ago, I used a pkg dill pickle mix by the name of Pilgrim Farm. They were the best pickles. When I couldn't find the mix any longer, I tried Mrs. Wage's and they turned out so bad, I swore I wouldn't use it again. Now, I am getting back into canning and I have seen Ball dill pickle mix and Mrs. Wages'. Has Mrs. Wage's improved over the years? Mrs. Wages' pickles did not stay crisp as the Pilgrim Farm's did. Has anyone tried the Ball mix? Is Ball mix any good? I am not too keen in trying Mrs. Wages' again. TIA!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

First, why do you feel you need to use a mix? There are many excellent pickle recipes available that don't require using one of the packaged mixes and I think it is safe to say that most folks don't use them.

Second, is it the flavor or the lack of crispness you don't like? I can't say if the mixes have improved or not as I have always found Mrs. Wages to be good flavor-wise and we personally prefer it over the Ball mix when and if we use a packaged mix.

But crispness is a whole other issue with different causes and solutions unrelated to the mix itself.

Crispness is related to the type, quality, and the freshness of cucumbers used and the type of processing done. You'll find many discussions here about that. You can also add Pickle Crisp to increase crispness a bit more.

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

I agree, why buy a mix ? They are so easy to make.

• will6659
    12 years ago

The mix is no more than salt and spices and most likely a firming agent.

1 gallon cucumbers
    1/3 cup dehydrated minced onion
    2 teaspoons dehydrated minced garlic or 6 garlic cloves, minced
    1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
    4 teaspoons dill seed
    1 1/2 quarts water
    2 cups cider vinegar
    1/2 cup canning salt

If you don't hot process these, they must be kept in the refriderator and are best after 3 weeks.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Will - What is the source of that recipe? It wouldn't be considered safe by current standards. It has way too much water for the amount of vinegar. With the exception of a couple of tested and approved recipes, 1:1 water to vinegar (equal amounts of both) is the current minimum.

Dave

• rbfner
    8 years ago

The nice thing about the commercial mixes they are cheap, easy and tasty. You need to know how to but crisp in pickles. If you grow your own it's hard , if your like me you want to do 28 quarts at a time, that means 30 lbs of cucumbers. I go to the farmers market early buy the cukes I want take them home but them in ice water them the frig over night. I have my jars ready, and fresh dill weed, just for looks, Mrs Wages polish are a family favorite, as well as a simple recipe of dill weed, garlic , vinegar, salt, and water. An other recipe add red pepper flakes. You know how to pack the cukes add the mix. The next step is important. But the filled jars in the canner, bring the water to a boil remove the jars. Crisp pickles, wait a month before eating. Then with all canned food if its dis colored, looks funny, smells funny, don't taste it , discard it! Wrs wages makes a great bread & butter mix zesty. Ball also makes a great bread& butter mix.

• HU-167998657
    3 years ago

I put it to a family taste test. BALL, hands down! Crispy with best taste!