Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing Anaheims

Posted by westelle z9 Fresno, CA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 19:49

In the past, when I've frozen my big Peppers, I've always charred and removed the skin, split them open, removed the seeds, then spread them out flat and FoodSavered them.

This year I have lots and was wondering what would happen if I just tossed them whole into the freezer.
Would the skins just peel-off when defrosted?
How would they be to handle whole once frozen?

Does any one have experience doing this?
Or, am I the one to do the experiment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing Anaheims

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 0:29

I've blistered Hatch and frozen them whole, I'm not sure if they are heavier skins than Anaheim, am thinking they are but the skins come off easily when thawed. The stem ends pull right off too, bringing most but not all of the seeds with them. I usually put 4 in a quart zip bag, put the quart bags into same gallon bag if not using my food saver.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 10:53

I don't blister or do anything to mine before freezing. Skins are fine with me but no, when not roasted or blistered first the skins don't just slip off when thawed like they will with tomatoes.

See more of this same discussion in the current thread linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing Peppers

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 10:55

I just freeze them whole, cutting off the top and de-seeding with a melon baller or teaspoon.. No blanching, no peeling, just pre-crisp and vacuum seal. I haven't noticed a need to peel them, but mine are pretty thin-skinned for whatever reason. They're a little limp when defrosted, but they still grill/char just fine.

o

I froze one and then defrosted it. It had almost the same integrity as fresh, but the skin didn't slip off at all. So, I charred all of them, including the stray jalepinos and habaneros. I'll take off the skins later, deseed them and then freeze them whole.

Thanks for all your input. I do like the skins off the big pepper tho.

o

I should have worn a mask, as well as gloves, to wash the skins off the jalepinos and habaneros. The fumes about got me! Now I have one large ziplock rolled-up in the freezer with a single layer of about 20 various types of hot peppers ready for future use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here