Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers stored in refrigerator

Posted by happyhelper 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 19:49

I had lots of cucumbers but was not ready to can yet so I made up a batch using water, sugar and vinegar for the liquid. I sliced cucumbers and onion thinly and poured the juice over. My question is, how long can I keep them in the refrigerator before they spoil? I put them in canning jars with lids.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers stored in refrigerator

How much vinegar and how much water? It is the ratio of vinegar to water that is important and determines how long they can store in the fridge.

Since you added onions it is especially important to have much more vinegar than water to store for any longer than a few days. And since you apparently didn't boil the brine there is nothing to kill the bacteria. Bacteria continue to grow in the fridge.

Why not check out some of the many approved recipes for making safe pickles?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Pickles

o

Thanks for the advice. It was a ratio of 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup vinegar. It is just a receipe used for pickle salads. I can give them away to friends in the next couple days.
I will be canning later when I have enough time.

Helen

o
Link to Receipes

Dave,
Also, thanks for the link to pickles. I think I will try the Bread and Butter pickles. I have had trouble with Dill Pickles, they always come out soft not crisp.
Helen

o

Please don't gift these. The minimum safe ratio of vinegar to water is 1:1 - a minimum of 1 cup of vinegar for every cup of water. You have far, far too little vinegar in these.

It is your choice and your risk to take eating these but it honestly isn't fair to gift them to others. Just think how you'd feel if someone got sick. When it comes to gifting homemade foods it is best to stick with tested and approved recipes that are known to be safe.

Dave

o
Tossing them now!

Dave, your right. I don't want to get anyone sick. I've got plenty of pickles growing on the vines so I'll toss these out now.
Helen

o

I wouldn't toss them at this point if you just did it yesterday.
Drain them, throw away the brine and make a correct brine.
Boil the brine and pour over the cukes.

Then you should be able to keep in the fridge for quite some time and enjoy them.

I agree with Dave completely about using tested recipes, but right now (less than 24 hours), they aren't any different than a marinated salad!
I have "issues" with wasting food! LOL

And I mean that as MY issues, no one else's!

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here