Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayhellonow

Without a Pressure Canner, can I...

sayhellonow
12 years ago

Hi Everyone -- I'm new to this forum, but I know you experienced canners can help me here:

Is there a way to can veggies if you don't have a pressure canner? I have a glass cooktop stove, and it came with specific instructions that said not to use the pressure canner. Soooo, I'm wondering if there are things I can do, such as adding acid of some kind, so that I can use the boiling water bath. I have squash, peppers, and tomatoes that I'd really like to preserve.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (8)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Tomatoes can be processed with a boiling water bath. But the squash and peppers would have to be pickled or mixed with tomatoes in an approved and tested salsa or pasta sauce. Ellie Topp's pasta sauces are popular as is Annie's salsa.

Carol

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Can your tomatoes in the BWB and be sure to add the required bottled lemon juice. Freeze your squash and peppers.

As Carol said, if you have Ellie Topp's book there are a couple of recipes you can use and of course there are a few salsa recipes.

But if you are wanting to can your squash and peppers otherwise you need a pressure canner. BWB doesn't get hot enough for low-acid vegetables.

Check out the recipes at NCHFP for specific directions for each food.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning

• tracydr
    12 years ago

You might consider fermenting your peppers and other veggies. Then, you can boiling water bath them. Check NCHFP for recipes for fermenting pickles.

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Don't forget about alternate heat sources to pressure can as well.
    Propane turkey fryer, BBQ burner or electric heating elements are possible options to be able to use a pressure canner.
    Alternate locations may be viable too. Is there a family member, friend, church available with an appropriate stove?

Deanna

• macybaby
    12 years ago

Tomatoes are rather high acid to begin with, so you don't have to add much to make them OK to water bath.

Other veggies are much lower in acid, so to add enough you end up significantly affecting the taste, but yes, you can add enough acid to just about any veggie to be able to water bath it.

I do it with green beans, carrots, beets and cucumbers. I have seen recipies for corn and quite a few others that I don't think I'd care for. While they are all a tasty treat, it's too much vingar to eat them like a regular serving of veggies, and it would really mess up the taste of any dish they were added to.

I also have a main cooktop that I can not can on. I have a coil cooktop in the garden shed, and a portable electric range (large hotplate) I can use in the house. I also have two propane burners, but don't like using them.

• lilycrazy
    12 years ago

Sayhellonow- I also have a glass cooktop and I DO can on it- some manufacturers recommend against it because it may crack the top, and some heat elements cycle on and off but I have never had this problem- using a pressure canner vs a BWB canner on that cooktop wouldn't make any difference. The main thing is whether or not you feel you can accept the possible risk of damage to your cooktop. I considered buying one of those countertop burner things but too many people had problems maintaining the heat sufficient enough to keep the hard boil going in the BWB. The choice is ours of course.....

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Lily -- I do use my glass cooktop for canning, but only for BWB and pint jars. Do you use it for BWB quarts and/or the pressure canners?

• macybaby
    12 years ago

When I had a glass top stove, I used it for pressuer and BWB cooking. My stoves (had 4 in 20 years) only stated the pan had to match the element. That is why I bought the Presto canner.

One thing I did, I put the empty canner on teh stove and idd not move it (except for minor adjustments) until it was cooled.

I found that I had to have the canner just right, and then the burner would not cycle on and off. I'd bend down and see, and if I saw it getting red and shutting off, then I'd adjust the canner slightly until I could see the burner come on and stay on.

Once up to pressure, I normally turned it down to about 2, and it held pressure.