Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdrums55

Prep tomatoes today, can tomorrow?

timbersmith
9 years ago

Hey all,

I'm looking to use up some of our excess tomatoes making some of the barbecue sauces from the Ball complete book (specifically the Two-in-one sauce on page 262), and I was wondering if it would be ok to process the tomatoes tonight, and then proceed with the rest tomorrow (or the weekend, in the worst case)? Process in this sense meaning running them through a food mill and then refrigerating the resulting puree.

Also, for these sauces, does the species of tomato make a difference like it can in some other recipes? We've also got a bunch of yellow tomatos, and wanted to double-check if these would be fine too, or just stick to reds (Mr. Stripey).

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

24 hours is the recommended limit between prep and processing. The weekend would be far too long unless you freeze it. So make your tomato puree and then freeze it and work on it whenever.

That recipe specifically calls for plum/paste types tomatoes so if you use other types you will want to do some draining of the tomatoes first as they will contain far more liquid and result in a much thinner sauce. Color of fruit makes no difference.

Dave

• timbersmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. I figured another reason to let the purée sit would be to let it separate out and skim off some of the excess liquid since they're not paste tomatos.

Just have to see how things turn out.

Thanks again!

• heavens123
    9 years ago

Is the 24 hour recommended time a safety issue or a taste issue? I ended up with too many tomatoes and couldn't finish in one day..or two...or three. After 75 jars of finished product I had to take today off to rest. I still have tomato puree in tupperware in my refrigerator. It's now Wednesday and I was going to finish up in the morning (Thursday). The tomatoes were pureed Monday. I'm using Mrs. Wages mixes. I'm not so concerned with any taste issue, but rather safety. Use or discard?