Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnem_gw

Mustard relish

lynnem
16 years ago

While I'm waiting for my pressure canner to finish my first batch ever of Annie's Salsa, I have a question..

Does anyone have a recipe for mustard relish? I searched the forum and didn't see anything..

Comments (6)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Can you clarify what you're looking for? Do you mean a relish with wet mustard or something else?

Carol

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I made some mustard pickes which is similar. I used a mixture of white, and cider vinegar, salt, Splenda, and some ground mustard seeds, both yellow and brown, as well as some Tumeric for the yellow color. Also used some ground mustard powder. The pickle part was cukes, onions, sweet red peppers, and cauliflour. I had some leftover mustard mixture that was slightly thickened with Clear Jel. It was mixed into some chopped cucumbers and onions to make a hot dog relish. Because I didn't actually have a tried and true recipe, I just tasted as I went along. I also found that ground celery seed goes well with this mustard. I did, in fact, post the same info several times here.

• lynnem
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, I'm sorry, I forgot I posted this question. What we buy at our farm market is a relish that is very mustardy..like the base of it has alot of yellow mustard in it. Maybe cucumbers or zucchini, and onions. ( I don't currently have a jar, or I'd check the ingredients)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Here's one recipe from Sure-Jell pectin that's kind of intruiging.

If you find a relish you like that doesn't contain mustard, I venture to guess you could add a tablespoon or two per batch. Mustard itself is anti-bacterial plus wet mustard has vinegar, so what you're adding isn't harmful.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Mustard Relish

• bcskye
    16 years ago

Here's one I found and plan to try.

Mustard Relish Recipe #10832
    Great on brats, hot dogs and burgers. Puts a zing in potato salad also.
    by DiB's
    4-5 half pints
    25 min 15 min prep
    2 medium cucumbers
    1 large bell pepper
    2 medium onions
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1-2 teaspoon horseradish
    2 teaspoons French's mustard
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon celery seeds
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    2 cups white sugar
    3/4 ounce powdered fruit pectin

Peel and seed cukes and finely chop.
    Finely chop onions and peppers.
    Place in a colander and drain for 1 hour-squeeze and toss into a large pot.
    Add vinegar, mustard, horseradish, salt, celery seed and ginger.
    Add pectin and mix WELL.
    Bring to a full rolling boil and add all the sugar.
    Bring to a hard boil again and boil for 1 minute-your doing a lot of stirring also.
    Remove from heat, skim and ladle into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/8 inch head space.
    Process for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.

• lynnem
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you! I'll will try these!

Lynne

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm