Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good way to reheat applesauce to boiling?

Posted by lingon (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 20:21

So, I just realised that applesauce that bubbles is not boiling. In my attempts to actually get the sauce to a boiling temperature I covered my kitchen with applesauce splats and burnt my arm in two places so badly it blistered. It spits at even the lowest temperature, or even when constantly stirring at medium temp and takes forever to heat - it starts at about 160 after cooking the apples and putting them through the foley food mill.

How do you all do it? Right now I'm considering microwave or crock pot - I really do not want to tend to spitting applesauce for the next 10 batches of applesauce I plan on making.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good way to reheat applesauce to boiling?

I just use a deep pot. Try heating in batches. Fill enough jars for one canner load before heating the next. The crockpot doesn't boil it hot enough.
It may also be too thick. Applesauce should be just that, a sauce. If it is full of bubbles when you process it, it is too thick.

o
Applesauce thickness and bubbles

I know this is an old thread, but I want to keep it alive in case it might help someone else as much as it helped me.

When I made applesauce the other day, it looked more like apple paste than applesauce and the processed jars were full of big bubbles. I found this thread and realized I needed to thin and reprocess, so I did the next day. I added some water while heating till the texture seemed right. It was so much easier to fill the jars and there were almost no bubbles in the jars after processing.

I love the wisdom on this forum!

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here