Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhippiemomma

Question about Apple Pie Filling

OldHippieMomma
11 years ago

Hi - I am about to can some apple pie filling for the first time. The recipe I am using says to pack raw apples slices in the jar then add the syrup. Since the syrup is kind of thick, it seems to me that it may not penetrate around all the apples. Is it OK to mix the apples into the syrup and then fill the jars? Thanks

Comments (9)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

The standard recipe for apple pie filling specifies a hot pack with pre-cooked apples. I'm not sure what recipe you're using. Or is your recipe apples in a spiced syrup without thickening?

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Can Apple Pie Filling

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Old Hippie, I have done it both ways and I like the looks of them when they are mixed together first then put in the jar. I hope you used ClearJel for thickener, and there has been some discussion about the recipe showing more thickener than necessary.

• OldHippieMomma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I decided after I posted this message to wait on making the filling. I was reading some USDA extension info and I heard about using clear-gel. So, I am going to try and get some of that before proceeding. I live in a very rural area and I've don't remember seeing anything like that at either Walmart or BiMart (the only two big stores other than Safeway). There is a small market run by the Mennonites so I am going to check there. I've found some interesting items there before and I have a feeling they might have it.

Carol - the recipe is for filling that is thickened but I don't think I am going to use it. I remembered what the County Extension agent said when I took a canning class about using only recipes that you know have been tested and found safe, so I am going to follow that advice. I am new to the world of canning (other than making jam) and I want to be sure my filling will turn out OK.

My Ball canning book has a recipe for apple pie filling that is then frozen - have any of you ever froze your filling?

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I freeze whole pies, which works beautifully and have occasionally frozen filling.

ClearJel works very well for a frozen filling. Flour tends to break down.

Carol

• OldHippieMomma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, I'm having difficulty finding Clear-Jel. I thought about ordering it through Amazon but the prices seem ridiculous. I heard about another product called Ultra Gel. It's supposed to be the same thing. Any of you heard about or used Ultra Gel? Is it the same?

• OldHippieMomma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ignore my last question about Ultra Gel. I searched Amazon again only using a different search setting and I found some large cans of Clear-Jel at reasonable prices (and with free shipping - Yay!)

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

Oregon State has a clear-jel thickened filling (link below).
    I just made 5 quarts yesterday! The fruit (hot, blanched) is mixed into the clear-jel thickened "sauce". Beautiful in the jars!

You might try contacting your local extension office, they often sell clear-jel out of the office. I know we do here in Lane County (Oregon).

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Pie Fillings publication

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Just be sure you're getting the cooked regular ClearJel (i.e. ClearJel A) and not the instant ClearJel.

Carol

• OldHippieMomma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It turns out the place I was planning to order from online wasn't offering free shipping after all plus the way it was listed at Amazon, I thought the weight was either 2.5 lbs or 10 lbs but I guess that was the can size.

So, I went to the little market run by a Mennonite family and sure enough they had - for $3.00 a lb. So, tomorrow I'll be making some filling. I'm excited to try it.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH