Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Canned one jar of peaches sideways...

bananastand
10 years ago

I canned my peaches successfully the other night-- 12 pints plus one quart jar was the total yield from my 1/2 bushel of peaches. Here's the question. The first two canner loads were each done with the 6 pints. Then when I went to put the quart jar in, the water had boiled down enough that it wasn't going to cover the lid. I was boiling on a propane camping stove and was almost out of propane, so didn't want to risk adding more water and then not having enough propane to finish the processing. (It was 9:30 at night at this point so going out for more propane was also not an option.) So I put the quart jar in on its side.

If the lid appears to have sealed correctly, can I assume this was canned safely? My understanding is that the only risk is that the food might leak out the side when tilted, preventing a proper seal.

I would have done the quart jar sooner but I just didn't even know if I'd need it so I was saving it for last to use only if I ended up still having enough peaches. I did. And I only had 12 pint jars to begin with if you are wondering why the quart even entered into the equation!

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)