Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pickles lacking esthetic appeal somehow.

Posted by Trishcuit none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 20:33

I used a dill pickle mix to do my pickled cukes and carrots. It contained: salt, sugar, natural flavors and calcium chloride (aka pickle crisp). It is just a white powdery substance that you dissolve in your vinegar and water brine. So I made two pint jars: one cukes and one baby carrots. The liquid is pretty much just clear, no bits of spice or dill heads tucked in or bobbing around. I appreciate the convenience of the product but it just looks so...sterile and devoid of character. The proof will be in the eating in a few weeks time I suppose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pickles lacking esthetic appeal somehow.

Well, I think you sort of answered your own question -- you need the "bits of spice and dill heads" and so on and so forth just for appearance sake. Personally, I like intensely flavored foods, so wouldn't have any qualms at all about adding to a commercial mix. Some nice red pepper pieces would also brighten it up and add some flavor as well.

I say go for it.

o

You can always add any dried herbs or spices you want. Dried dill leaves, parsley, tarragon, dried peppers, dried onions, etc. One fresh dill head probably wouldn't hurt but fresh herbs can affect pH so you can't over do it. And not all of the available mixes are the same either. Try another mix or skip the packaged mixes all together.

Dave

o

Yea I pretty much answered my own question I know, hahah. It was more just an observation. Time to get down and get funky with the spices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here