Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Blanched the peaches- can I refrigerate and can tomorrow?

bananastand
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I don't know if most of you do your canning on weekends, but I find it's very difficult to get whole free weekend days especially in the summertime! So, I am mostly trying to do my canning after work. Add in the needed time to eat dinner and you can see I'm working with limited time!

My question is, has anyone else canned in steps? I just washed, scored, and blanched a half bushel of peaches. I could break out the canner tonight, but I'm tempted to just put my two bowls of blanched peaches (not peeled yet) in the fridge and finishing tomorrow.

Think that will work? Oh and also, does anyone have an opinion on the safety of this low sugar recipe I would like to use?
http://www.food.com/recipe/canned-peaches-light-no-sugar-added-464185

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

They will be harder to peel if left over-night and they will darken unless they are kept in an ascorbic acid solution of some kind. But there is no safety issue per se although it will allow for some bacterial growth even when covered in the fridge.

As for the instructions you linked they are basically the same as the standard NCHFP and Ball instructions with optional apple juice or white grape juice (although hot pack rather than raw pack is recommended) so there is no reason to use instructions from other sources with the approved ones are available..

With juice rather than sugar syrup the appearance and texture will be affected - darker and softer - but if leaving out the sugar is important and you don't mind the different results then it does work.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning peaches

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I agree that it would be easier to peel if you did it right after blanching. I always add lemon juice in any of my water that the peaches touch. I just hate when all that hard work turns dark.

• bananastand
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to peel and slice them last night- they are sitting in covered bowls in the fridge in white grape juice with Fruit Saver added in.

Thanks!

• pattypan
    10 years ago

is there a safety issue with fruit turning dark ? i don't mean as in letting it sit long, just long enough peel, cut and dump in the pot on the stove. when making applesauce i've noticed some varieties brown up much faster than others. i add apples as i go, like i do when cooking tomatoes, to prevent juice separation.

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

It isn't a safety issue, but sure doesn't look good. You usually use a bowl of water with either Fruit Fresh or bottled lemon juice to keep the peeled fruit in until you pack the jars or heat for a hot pack. That, or use crushed vitamin C tablets in the water. I prefer Fruit Fresh and I put it right in my canning syrup. It says on the side of the jar you can add 1 tsp. per cup of syrup you make. Most people don't realize you can add to the syrup. I also sprinkle it in my applesauce. My fruits are always bright colored and taste really good. Even if fruit turns dark during peeling, just putting them in the syrup with Fruit Fresh will turn them bright again. I never can fruit without adding Fruit Fresh.