Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forgot extra time for altitude

Posted by kckmartin 5 South central MT (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 20:48

Just finished canning 18 pints of sauerkraut and have two questions:

1) I forgot to add additional processing time for my altitude - 3500 feet.

2) A few jars leaked brine when I pulled them out of the bath, although they did seal.

Do I need to reprocess everything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forgot extra time for altitude

Probably should and within 24 hours. But did you use hot pack or raw pack (that affects the time called for) and how much time did you actually use?

Dave

o

I used the hot pack method, bwb for 10 minutes, then turned off the heat and let the jars sit in the water for 5 minutes.

o

Molds and yeasts would be your only concern so personally I'd probably re-process them or at least mark them to use up first. But it is a very "borderline" situation given the hot pack and the time you used so many probably wouldn't worry about it. Your choice.

Dave

o

Dave, thank you! I decided to roll the dice on this one. Hoping for the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here