Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crab-apple/chokesherry jelly separating in jars

Posted by Smokeye canada (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 20:53

I've searched through many different forums to see if anyone has had the same problem as I have with my latest batch of jelly without success.

I made a batch of crab-apple /chokecherry jelly from frozen juice that I had harvested last year. It didn't set so I reboiled it. At this time I added an extra 2 cups of crab-apple juice to finish off the juice that I had left.

It set fine this time but 3 of my 10 jars have about a cm of liquid that has settled to the top of the jars. I'm quite perplexed by this as not all the jars have this problem.
I opened the jars and the jelly at the bottom has a good texture and tastes fine and liquid juice poured off easily.
I usually give away most of my canning at Christmas time and my worst fear is canning something and having it poison someone.

Is anyone able to offer any insight to what's going on. I can't see any reason why the rest of the jelly wouldn't be good. But I aslo can't see a reason for why this has happened either ;)
Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crab-apple/chokesherry jelly separating in jars

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 15:22

The juice was added after the pectin was incorporated so the pectin was not incorporated into it fully. It happens, poses no real problems other than appearance and can just be stirred back together after opening the jars.

Dave

o

Ok. So if I had boiled it longer then it might not have happened I suppose.
Thank you for your response!

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 10:51

Ok. So if I had boiled it longer then it might not have happened I suppose.

Possibly but one never knows for sure with re-cooking jellies and especially so when adding more liquid. Pectin, in most any form except for Pomona, can be "touchy" about its handling according to my wife who's the jelly making expert in the family.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here