Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickled Dilly Beans

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 21:13

This was in our paper, but I grow my own herbs and don't know what a "bunch" of dill is????

Pickled Dilly Beans
Makes 5 pint jars

2 1/2 C white wine vinegar
1/4 C salt
1 garlic clove
3/4 tsp chili flakes
3/4 tsp black peppercorns
2 1/2 lb green beans
1 bunch dill

In a large sauce pot, stir together the vinegar, water, salt, garlic, chili flakes, and peppercorns and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
Pour boiling liquid into a container with thte green beans and dill. Cool until room temperature and then refrigerate.

My question is....how much is a "bunch"?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickled Dilly Beans

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd make sure I had enough for one head of dill per jar.

Carol

o

Thanks. Will do. Nancy

o

One dill head per jar is too little for me. It is a matter of taste. If you love the taste of dill weed, add more. I add the fond tips also - they look pretty in the jars.
I get present bunches at a farmers market and they are 6 to 10 times the size of a bunch at a local grocery store. They are small heads and fonds together.
Words like "bunch" are always problems in recipes because no-one knows how much it is. I have noticed "bunches" or herbs get smaller like everything else.
In the case of dill, it does not make any difference however as said above.
Jim in So Calif

o

A "bunch" sold here at farm stands runs about $2.99 and tends to be roughly 10-12 large heads of dill plus a few immature ones.
They are pulled up by the roots and bundled together.
Most often found standing in a tub of water.

I agree that it is a matter of taste. I love dill so need a minimum of one large head or 2-3 smaller ones per quart jar.

I noticed the recipe you posted doesn't list an amount for the water. It is included in the instructions, but not the ingredient list. Hopefully, it is equivalent to the vinegar amount OR LESS for a 50/50 ratio.
The recipe also just says to refrigerate, so I'm assuming it isn't to be processed for long term shelf storage? Just stored in the fridge?

Deanna

o

Stored in the fridge for up to 30 days.
You're right! It doesn't include the ammt of water!I guess I'll try 2 1/2 c water. that will be 5 c liquid total into 5 pint jars. I wonder if that'll be enough liquid?

o

If you run short of liquid make up additional pickling solution using the same 50:50 proportions but depending upon how short you are, perhaps only 1/4 of the original recipe.

Once you've made this, if it's a recipe you like, make notes of how much additional solution, if any, you need to prepare.

Below is the NCHFP cannable recipe, just for comparison purposes. 50:50 is pretty standard proportions.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Dilled Beans

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here