Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Bumped weight removing PC from stove...

pqtex
10 years ago

I just pressure canned 7 quarts of pork stock. When my timer went off, I turned off the burner and moved the canner off to the counter to start the cool down. When I did this, I accidentally bumped the weight askew and could hear the steam/pressure escaping. I righted the weight as quickly as I could. What will the effect be on my canned goods? Will they be improperly processed? Should I expect some siphoning due to the sudden drop in pressure? This just happened only a few seconds ago. I could put them back on the stove and reprocess them, if necessary.

Arggghhh.

Jill

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

You might get some siphoning. How much depends on how much the pressure was affected. Food will still be safe.

But why move the canner? That can lead to all sorts of problems. Just turn off the burner and let it cool down in place.

Dave

• pqtex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I got in the habit of moving it off the burner, at first because the canning books said move off the burner, but then I got a second canner and a canning element. If I'm running loads back to back, I move the ending one off and move the other canner on. By the time the first one has cooled, the second one is ready to come off and I can do yet another load, if needed. It wasn't necessary tonight though...just habit. Guess I'll try leaving it on there next time. Good to know my stock will still be safe to consume!

Jill

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Good habit to break unless you just have to have that burner. Mostly the books said "remove from heat" when what they meant was turn off the heat. Moving the canner can easily result in burns, dropped canners, tipped jars, steam venting, etc.

Sure you can carefully slide it off to the side but sometimes even that can cause problems.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

With an electric stove, you may want to move the PC, but it will take longer since the element cools instead of the instant heat loss of gas stoves. I just move to another burner, when I do need to move it. It's just too heavy to move much.

I have 2 PCs now, and I use both big burners. I make sure they don't need to be 'removed from heat' at the same time. I also keep 2 timers. I like to have the timers (magnetic) on the doors below the appropriate PCs.

Marla

• pqtex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My stock came out just fine. I may have had a small amount of siphoning, but the level of the stock was only 1/8" to 1/4" lower than the original 1" head space. All jars sealed. I was mostly concerned that the sudden steam release didn't cause the food to be underprocessed.

I do have to lift the pot up to clear the edge of the stove to the counter. I'm always careful, but it is definitely heavy. I like canning on that one burner because of the canning element. I have a 23 quart presto that fits ONLY on that burner, which is the only large burner on the front of the stove. It won't fit on the other large burner because of the way the stove is made. When it is full, or double stacked, it is HEAVY! My second canner is a 1978-ish harvest gold small presto canner. It barely fits on my second large burner. I do use it there occasionally, but I prefer to do all canning on the burner with the canning element.

The reason I have always moved the canner off the burner is because it is electric and keeps the heat up much longer. I don't slide heavy pots off the burners. Can't be good for the stove.

Thanks for all of the input. I think this was an unusual occurrence and I will just be a lot more careful in the future about how I move the canner.

Jill

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

That's fine as long as you understand that it doesn't hurt anything to leave it sitting on the burner, even an electric burner.

Dave