Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strayarrow

low-temp pasteurization at altitude

strayarrow
10 years ago

I have made two batches of pickles using the NCHFP directions for low-temperature pasteurization. My conscience is clear as to following the directions, but 30 minutes gives a long time to think about things...

Unlike a BWB process the directions mention nothing about a 5 minute rest in the pot after turning off the heat. What is the purpose of the resting period? I am not a trained food scientist, but it seems like it is to let the pressure settle a bit and not shock the jar or seal. Since the low-temp method doesn't go to such high pressures, the rest period is not needed. Correct?

And since the target temp is 180, there is no altitude correction, because at my altitude, 180 is just the same as sea level. The correction is necessary with BWB because we are trying to reach an adjusted pressure/temperature point, which is not the case the with low-temp method. In other words, there is no magic "add 15 minutes" to adjust for altitude in low-temp pasteurization, correct?

I have seen no indication that quarts process longer than pints. Did I miss something?

FWIW, at my altitude (6850') the differential of 5 minutes is a no brainer (10 minutes is a general starting place for most pickles, plus 15 for the altitude vs 30 minutes of pasteurization). The Montana State University extension website recommends the method, and they serve a high-altitude population, so I feel good about it, but I like to understand things rather than simply follow instructions blindly.

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Good question Annie and one that seldom comes up since so few seem to use the pasteurization method. So thanks for posting. I will admit to some curiosity as to why you chose to go this route?

As you know it is just heating a liquid to a specific temperature for a specific period of time in order to reduce the number of microorganisms that could cause disease, spoiling, or fermentation. What temp and for how long all depends on the liquid itself.

USDA testing decades back determined that for pickles in a specific brine solution (note it can't be used for all recipes) required 30 mins at 180 degrees to reduce the bacterial count levels to acceptable levels.

No altitude adjustments in either time or temp are required. Unlike with BWB processing where since water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes, it is necessary to boil for a longer period of time to achieve the same level of disinfection, you are using a thermometer to control the process and time with pasteurization. Once at the 180 degree temp, the time required at that temp doesn't change.

The process is primarily for quarts since processing pints for 30 min would result in a very mushy pickle.

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

You still use the extra 5 min. wait time. I am confused, though, as you said you let the pressure settle. Pressure ? You are using a BWB canner.
    As said, low pasteurization is only meant if the recipe says it is an option.
    I honestly find no benefit. The standard BWB works just as well and much faster and easier.

• strayarrow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At my altitude, the recommended BWB 10 minute processing time is increased to 25 minutes, even for pints, so yes, mushy indeed. Not worth the bother. 5 more minutes at 180 is a reasonable exchange if the final product is better.

Yes, hovering over a calibrated thermometer, one we use for making cheese.

Linda_lou, I wonder why the NCHFP left out the 5 minute hold in their instructions?

As for the pressure comment, forgive me if I am wrong, but substantial pressure must build up in BWB jars as they boil and the gases come out of solution and are trapped under the lid. That's what I meant by pressure in the jar, not the pressure canning method for low-acid foods. As little as I remember from chemistry, I do recall the boiling point is pressure dependent, and in an encased environment, like a jar, it can go higher than at ambient, so letting the jar rest for time, cooling thus reducing the internal pressure makes sense to me. Otherwise, what would be the point of 5 more minutes in the bath?

I have read enough on the forum of people's ill-advised ideas about improvisation to appreciate the cautionary advice "approved recipes only." But recipes aren't blessed by a magic wand. There is some rational approach underlying it (perhaps by methodology out of reach of the typical homemaker). I may not be able to test my own recipes but I do want to understand why it works. I don't see the value in turning science into a mysterious act of faith. Hence my stream of thought that led to the questions in the first place.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

This is one of those situations where I would be severely tempted to compromise the guidelines on processing and go for a lower altitude processing time just to end up with a semi-quality pickle.

Not that I am advocating it. I'm just admitting I'd sure be tempted. But I do think I could easily live with giving up at least the 5 min wait time.

25-30 min for pickles ends up with really smushy pickles I bet. Got anyone down the mountain that will let you can at their house and altitude? :-)

Dave

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus