Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can you tell if a canning recipe has been approved?

Posted by marti8a DFW (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:27

I found this recipe today for Pickled Spiced Carrots on cooks.com. It is a lot like a refrigerator marinated recipe I have. I'd love to be able to can the recipe, but don't want to gamble on it either. There is no one to contact there as far as I can tell, so I can't ask where it came from, and I don't have any canning books to check except the Ball Blue Book and it's not in there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can you tell if a canning recipe has been approved?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 22:07

The source is your first and primary clue. There are standard safe sources for canning recipes - the Ball Books and their equivalents, other texts listed here in many discussions, and the NCHFP website that all other approved resources are based on.

This particular source and of its recipes in no way claim to be USDA approved. A tested and approved source will carry that USDA seal or USDA guidelines will at least be acknowledged. Without that info you can almost always bet it is untested.

Second is the nature of the source. Is its focus canning or cooking? Cooks.com is a cooking resource, not a canning recipe resource, and is generally considered a source to be avoided when it comes to canning. That doesn't mean some of the recipes there may not be safe, just that they haven't been tested and have to be individually evaluated.

This particular recipe is straight vinegar, no dilution with water. Straight vinegar brine recipes will almost always be safe. However NCHFP offers instructions for Pickled Carrots that has been tested and approved so why not go with the approved source?

Dave

o

I made the nchfp recipe one time and it was pretty blah compared to my refrigerator marinated pickles. I think the cinnamon and cloves made the difference. I was wondering about boiling the vinegar with cinnamon and cloves, then straining those out and making the nchfp recipe with that vinegar. But then I wondered if it would change the vinegar enough to make it safe.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 16:55

With a vinegar based recipe that is no more diluted than 1:1 you can add all the dried seasonings and spices you wish - within reason. It is your option to leave them in or not. There are many pickling recipes that call for both cinnamon and whole cloves and they are usually
- IME - left in.

So if you want cinnamon and cloves in your pickled carrots feel free to add them to the NCHFP recipe.

Dave

o

I'll do that. Thanks Dave.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here