Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibstitchin

Question about Linda Lou's Pickles

ibstitchin
16 years ago

Silly question here but I've searched and searched and haven't found the answer. Could someone tell me in actual measurements how many cucumbers I need? I feel silly and maybe a little anal but 24 cukes can vary quite a bit depending on their size. Or do you just charge ahead and make more syrup if you have too many cukes?

TIA!

Lora

Comments (10)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Generally pickling cucumbers of a size for this recipe are 3-5" long. I don't know if that helps or not.

It's not at all uncommon to end up making more syrup or you can just refrigerate and consume any leftover cucumbers. Believe me, they'll go fast, with syrup or without.

Carol

• ibstitchin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Carol!

LOL I was hoping for an actual measurement as I have tons of cukes that are larger than they should be. Our neighbor's son went a little overboard on planting and they aren't picking many so I went out and filled our lawnmower trailer. I'm making several batches of Red-Hot Pickles with the big yellowing ones and using some of the smaller ones to do the chunk pickles. Probably makes some cucumber ketchup and other things tomorrow too. Oy, too many cukes!

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Glad to help. Over 5 inches are generally good for relish. There's also Senfgurken which is an old recipe using the big yellow cucumbers.

Carol

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

For a double batch Linda Lou's recipe, I used an 8 quart basket of pickles 3 to 4 inches long. When ready to process, I had 1 pint without syrup. Just put them in the fridge and they were gone in a week. If you are making a single batch, you could make 1-1/2 batches of syrup to be safe.

• ibstitchin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again. I decided to take all the smaller ones and got them started last night. If I need more syrup to cover them I'll just make more. I'm also doing cinnamon pickles with the biggies but I'll look up Senfgurken too. We don't eat much relish and I have tons left in the cabinet so I doubt I'll make much of it. Would the big ones work for ketchup?

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

Carol
    My Mom and Grandmother used the fats, as we called them and made what they called Slippery Jim's. The cukes were peeled and cut into strips. We were vegetable farmers at the time, so we had many of the big ones. I make fours kinds of pickles now and Slippery Jim's is not one of them because I don't let my garden pickles get too big.

• ibstitchin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Shirley. Do you mind sharing the recipe for Slippery Jims? I did a search and came up blank. Thanks!

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

My sisters and I are sharing my Mom's old hand written canning book. I'll find out which sister has it and get the recipe for you. Oh, how we loved our Mom's home made pickles.

• ibstitchin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Shirley! I love finding old cooking/baking/canning books that are hand written or have lots of notes. I did some more searching and found one place that mentioned Slim Jim pickles and gave a recipe. In parenthesis they had Senf Gurken so maybe Slim Jims are the American name for Senfgurkens? The recipes were similar except the Senfgurken recipes I've found call for brown sugar.

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

Both set of Grandparent came from Germany in the early 1900's The recipe may be the same. I'm working in it.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH