Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power went out while doing green beans

Posted by Tracy93 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 21:31

I was pressure canning 7 quarts of green beans, there were 12 minutes left on the timer when the power went out. It was out for 45 minutes. I never opened the P.C. but did remove the weight when it reached zero on the gauge. I took the dogs for a walk and, of course, the power came on while I was gone. I hadn't turned the burner off so when I got back the canner was venting steam. I timed it for 10 minutes to vent then reprocessed the whole thing again for another 25 minutes.

What is my worst case scenario here? Mushy beans or imminent death from poorly processed beans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power went out while doing green beans

Mushy beans is the worst case. You did what was necessary to make them safe, just not in the best order. Best to have turned the burner off and waited until you could remove the lid too. Then go for the walk and come back and start over with the processing.

45 mins. isn't long - not like folks who want to leave the jars sitting in it overnight - but you want to avoid letting jars sit in the sealed canner once finished.

Dave

o

Thank you Dave. Leaving the burner on was a bonehead move; I didn't even think to turn it off. Will you explain why I should have removed the lid from the canner? Is it for food safety reasons or to prevent glass breakage? I'm new to all of this.

o

The issue is the heat-loving bacteria that can grow in the semi-sealed environment and the fact that while sitting in there the jars release their seals and re-seal off and on. So contamination of the contents from outside air is possible.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here