Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long do pickles need to set before eating?

Posted by karissa_lynn se MA z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 21:33

I just made dill pickles for the first time. I've heard all different amounts of time that they need to set before eating them. I've heard anywhere from 1 week to 3 months. What do you all usually do?

Thanks,
Karissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long do pickles need to set before eating?

Which kind? Brine or fermented or quick-pack all have different aging times, usually the longer the better as flavor develops slowly.

As the general pickling guidelines say: Regular dill pickles and sauerkraut are fermented and cured for about 3 weeks. Refrigerator dills are fermented for about 1 week. During curing, colors and flavors change and acidity increases. Fresh-pack or quick-process pickles are not fermented; some are brined several hours or overnight, then drained and covered with vinegar and seasonings. Fruit pickles usually are prepared by heating fruit in a seasoned syrup acidified with either lemon juice or vinegar. Relishes are made from chopped fruits and vegetables that are cooked with seasonings and vinegar.

But those are just general guidelines. Fermenting can take 6 weeks or longer depending on the air temperatures used. Some brined pickle recipes call for 1 week and many call for 3 weeks to month.

Many recipes stipulate the waiting time. Like the Bread & Butter pickle recipe says should be stored 4 to 5 weeks to develop ideal flavor. The same for Quick Sweet Pickles - 4-5 weeks.

But for many it just boils down to taste. You taste them and if they taste good to you, they are done. If they don't then they likely need more time.

But in some ways it makes little sense to go to all the work and trouble to make and preserve them if you don't give them the time to develop fully. Otherwise they are just marinated cucumbers. ;)

Dave

o

Since I am new to canning and very new to pickling, I'm not sure which type they are. I don't really know the differences. I used the dill pickle recipe on page 50 of the BBB. They are canned in brine, so does that make them brine pickles? The BBB doesn't say.

Karissa

o

Karissa - if you will flip back to page 49 you'll see the category title for that recipe - "Fresh Pack Pickled Foods". That's the type aka "quick pack".

See right under the category title it where it says Allow 4-6 weeks for fresh pack pickled foods to cure and develop a satisfactory flavor.

That applies to all the recipes in that section of the book. ok?

In the BBB you will find general guidelines for each category laid out at the beginning of the category and if you go to pg.46-47 you'll find all the general pickling info called "Getting Started", the definitions of each type, general ingredients to have on hand, how to select cucumbers, etc.

Dave

o

Oops. Well I feel silly. I haven't had the chance to go through the book yet. And you all are so knowledgable.

Thanks Dave,
Karissa

o

No problem. ;) We all started out at one time too.

Dave

o

I made sweet pickles which are fermented for a short period of time (3 days) and then brined. I opened the jar yesterday after sitting for a week - too early! Should wait about 2 months or so for it to "taste" like the ones I'm used to!

o

I know this thread is old, but I was having the same question. And I am new to canning as well. And I also used a recipe on page 50 and did not see the
Allow 4-6 weeks for fresh pack pickled foods to cure and develop a satisfactory flavor.
So thank you to you posters for this!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here