Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

space between jars in canner

pqtex
9 years ago

Do you use a divided rack when canning?

I have the plain, flat rack that came with each of my presto canners. When stacking, I use the rack from the other canner.

I have seen the racks that are divided but don't have one. Looks like the canner won't hold as many jars when using those.

I have the Joy of Cooking cookbook, which I use a lot for regular cooking, but for the first time, began perusing the canning section (looking for a jam/jelly/preserves/marmalade recipe with a pear-calamondin combination...if you have one, please share).

I read something that surprised me. It said to have two inches of space between the jars. It says: "Unless you have a jar rack that will securely hold the jars, place a rack in the bottom o the kettle to keep the jars from touching the canner or each other. Leave a 2-inch space between them."

My jars are always closer than that, plus they shift around in the boiling water. Even if they are equally spaced, they end up all clustered together.

Is this a problem? After reading that, I looked in SETP and didn't find any mention of the two inch spacing or how to prevent the jars from touching each other or the sides of the canner during processing.

Jill

Comments (3)