Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
got_bullmastiff

oops.. too much cinnamon in my jam

got_bullmastiff
11 years ago

I made plum jam today and I have a slightly bitter taste going on. I think I put too much much cinnamon in it.

My question: will that flavor fade over time or intensify? Cuz if it will intensify, I might as well dump it now. I tried adding more sugar but that bitterness was still there.

What has been everyone's experience with spices in jam?

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

What has been everyone's experience with spices in jam?

IME they always get stronger in everything. I always recommend going very easy/light with any of them because they will intensify. Plan to add more if needed AFTER the jar is opened.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Less is more is definitely true with spices. Many of them become more bitter or just strong during time on the shelf.

But I still wouldn't throw that batch away. I'd use it in a jam cake, which is a great winter recipe. It will get you in touch with pioneer roots! Or I'd stir it into oatmeal or something similar. Anything where the cinnamon flavor will be dispersed and counteracted by sugar.

Carol

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

Flavors mellow with time sometimes. I made some marmalade last winter which was horribly bitter when I put it in jars and delicious 6 weeks later.

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks everyone.. I'll pop it open in December.. maybe it will be a nice filling for a layer cake.

• missemerald
    11 years ago

Have you ever made those meatballs with the chili sauce and grape jelly? That plum jam would be fabulous in those... I found that out after a batch of some jam that I made was too spiced too. You know the old saying about life, lemons and lemonade, right?

• tim45z10
    11 years ago

how about making another batch with little or no cinnamon and mixing the two together after opening?

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh! I like the meatball idea! I tasted some of the leftovers this AM. .. it's odd.. I'm wondering if the plums were too tart as well even though they tasted very yummy before jamming. Once I put the cinnamon in (and I used a fresh container of Vietnamese Cinnamon which is probably why it was overloaded)

Anyway, it tastes like tart cranberry spread. I'm thinking it would be really good on a turkey sandwich

• readinglady
    11 years ago

That explains it. The Vietnamese cinnamon is quite strong.

I really like using whole cinnamon, not ground for jams and remove the sticks before jarring for a more subtle flavor. I've also had great luck with cassia buds. I think I used those in a cranberry preserve with really good results.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Oh yeah - BIG difference. I find the Vietnamese cin too strong for most uses. Gave up on it years back. When called for, I'd cut it back substantially.

Like Carol said where you don't want the primary food flavor overwhelmed, cinnamon sticks are much preferred.

Dave