Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturenut_ohio

Mirro canner leaking

naturenut_ohio
14 years ago

Hello all, I have a mirro canner that I bought last year. I really have not used it alot as I had to buy all my veggies last year from the farmers market. This year we are growing our own for the first time. anyways, the last 2 batches of beans I notice water dripping from around where the lid meets the pot and drips through the whole 10 minute cycle until I put the weight on and the preasure builds up. Is this normal or is there a problem with the seal and I may need to buy a new one?

Thank you so much,

Amy

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Hi Amy - no it isn't normal and yes you may need a new one but try this first. Remove the gasket, the seal ring, and make sure there is no debris trapped under it. Then oil it lightly with a light vegetable oil like cannola or olive. Using your finger swipe just a bit of oil onto the metal inside of the lid before putting the gasket back in.

Doesn't always work but often does. If the leaking continues the I'd invest in a new gasket.

Dave

• calliope
    14 years ago

I get this the first time I use my canner at the beginning of the season. Rubber gaskets dry and shrink and get stiff. If it happens, I bring it down to equilibrium, take the gasket out and do what digdirt says. But, I also stretch it as much as I can to limber it up and then replace it on the pot.

There is a mechanism in the pot designed to throw lock on when pressure builds. If you lift the lid on a mirro, you can see the hole and the piston in it. It is what makes your lid rattle when you handle it. The pressure pushes the piston up when it builds.....and it throws the lock down into the receiving slot on the handle of the pan. You will also notice if the lock is not engaged, you will find the steam escaping, often at this area because your lid is not locked down and often not seated just right. Mirros seem to be touchy in this respect. Sometimes if you just slide the lid a little when it is on the pot.....and snap it into place, the lock engages and the steam stops. The older the canner the more the proper lid placement seems to stray.

• naturenut_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dave and Calliope, worked like a charm, I canned yellow beans today and had no leaking..

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Linda Lou, I didn't know that. When I replaced the gasket on my PC the last time (OK, it WAS several years ago), the directions in the package said to oil it.

Are they making gaskets out of something new now and maybe that's why?

Annie

• medcave
    14 years ago

The instructions that came with my new Presto 16qt say: "The sealing ring is prelubricated. If necessary, to help make the cover easier to open and close, a very light coating of cooking oil may be applied to the sealing ring and underside of the body lugs."

The sealing ring on my Presto appears to be made of the same plasticized rubber as on my 12 year old Mirro, so I doubt cooking oil would speed up deterioration of the seal a significant amount, if any. The instructions also say to replace the seal every 3 years anyway.

• Nancy Teed
    6 years ago

Got new gasket but it still leaks water. Did a trail test with just water it leaked water but was building pressure. When I put on the gasket it doesn't lock like my other one. Afraid to use it. Began canning all my life. First time unsure. I'm afraid it may blow with the water leak. Did the hot water for the gasket and stretch ed the gasket also.

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

If it doesn't look like the previous gasket then there is a good chance it is the wrong one. What model canner and what model number on the gasket? New ones are sometimes prone to a bit of leaking that usually goes away as the rubber expands. How bad is the leak? If substantial then I wouldn't use it. If a few drips here and there I wouldn't worry about it.

Dave

• Nancy Teed
    6 years ago

Hi, This canner is the one my mom had. Made in 1972 so I check many sites to make sure I got the right one. Mirro #M0406 called for a #9882. Yes it is leaking to much. Don't want to lose to much water has I may have a problem of it getting dry. Brought 2 gasket so the second one I'm not boiling or putting oil on it, but It still doesn't lock when I close it. Let u Know what happens.

• digdirt2
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There are two different gasket for that model (M-0406). One for those made before 1983 and one for those made after Jan. 1983. The 9882 only works on those made after Jan. 1983. Otherwise you need item number 3440. So if your 9882 is leaking then you likely need the 3440. Both are available from

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/M-0406.htm

Dave

• Nancy Teed
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for your help.