Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

how do I preserve flat leaved parsley?

buyorsell888
12 years ago

I snip it fresh when I've got it growing but waste tons of it. Waste it when I buy it too. Store bought dried just doesn't taste nearly as good. Can I freeze it?

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Fresh dried tastes much better than store-bought. But if you want to freeze it just chop and freeze it in water in ice cube trays, then pop the cubes into zip lock bags for freezer storage and use as needed.

Dave

• zabby17
    12 years ago

buyorsell,

I've had very good luck freezing parsley. I chop off the stems and just pack the bunch o' leaves into a Ziplock bag, squishing out all the air. When I need some, I can cut what I want off the now-frozen "block" of parsley leaves easily.

Now I have my fancy Foodsaver, I save it in smaller packages vacuum sealed and it doesn't even get ice crystals on it.

But before I had a Foodsaver, I never really found parsley problematic. Its taste was still very good when used from frozen. Of course, the texture suffers. You wouldn't want to make thawed parley the centre of a tabbouleh salad. But for anything cooked, or in small quanitites for flavour in raw things, it works great.

I also use dill and oregano this way. I have NOT had much luck with cilantro or basil, alas, which tend to go black and slimy....

Z

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I'm so sick of throwing away extra produce both store bought and grown. DH and I just can't eat all we produce or buy.

I toss Cilantro all the time too.

I don't know how to dry either one myself either. I'm fairly useless beyond freezer jam.

DH broke out Food Saver, need to buy a new one.

• kriswrite
    12 years ago

I freeze it, too. I find it works best to chop up the parsley first, since this is how I cook with it. Then, there's no need to thaw the parsley before using it in a recipe.

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

I also freeze herbs in snack sized ziplocs.
    Chop, measure (or not), press out all the air.

I even do this with cilantro if I plan to use in cooked dishes. It never seems to be ready at the same time the tomatoes and peppers are, so I pull it directly from the freezer and drop it into my Annie's salsa recipe. I freeze in the 1/4 cup quantity needed for the recipe and mark the bags.

Deanna

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm off to buy snack sized ziplocks.

• nygardener
    12 years ago

dgkritch, you can start cilantro easily from seed. Start it every couple of weeks in a different small patch, and you'll have a constant supply.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Did a bunch of chopped basil today. Coarse chopped spread out on a cookie sheet, spritzed it well with water so there was a thin layer of water covering the sheet. Froze it and then broke the sheet of it into pieces and vacuum sealed it all in bags. Good color. When thawed still goes great on fresh sliced tomatoes.

Dave