Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
converting from boiling water bath to pressure canner

Posted by bella_trix z6b SE PA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 21:58

I'm not one for changing recipes, but I wonder if I could change this one a little. I'm going to try the tomatillo salsa recipe in the Ball Blue Book. It calls for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. I really like using my pressure canner better. Could I switch to the pressure canner? Would it be for the same amount of time at 10lbs? Also, the recipe calls for 1 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup lime juice. Could I use 1 1/4 cups lime juice instead? If I'm using the pressure canner, could I reduce the total amount of vinegar/lime juice?

Thanks!
Bellatrix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: converting from boiling water bath to pressure canner

Yes you could even fill the pressure canner up with water to cover the jars by a couple of inches, and do the BWB there, with the cover in place but not locked down. The pressure canning may give you a softer texture product. You can also use some cider vinegar, or bottled lemon juice instead of bottled lime juice (my favorite- Nellie&Joes lime juice)

o

I wouldn't pressure can it - it affects the texture too much - but as Ken said simply use the PC as a BWB by leaving the lid unlocked and the jars covered. That way the processing time is unchanged. There is no way that I know of to convert BWB minutes required to equivalent PC minutes - not safe to play with the processing time anyway.

And reducing the amount of acid required isn't safe either. You can change the type of acid if you stick with approved types such as bottled lime juice, not fresh, but you can't safely reduce the amount.

Dave

o

If you were to reduce the acid and pressure can you would need to process longer. One of the salsa recipes I use, I have to process 35 min. in a pressure canner.
Yes, sub bottled lime juice in any recipe that says vinegar, but not the other way around. The vinegar is less acidic than the bottled lime or bottled lemon juice.
So, if you want to cut out some of the acid, then pressure can for the 35 min. That takes care of the low acid peppers and onions. You still need to add some acid, though. It would depend upon the recipe as to how much.
I don't mind pressure canned salsa as far as the texture of it. Seems fine to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here