Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gladgrowing

canning recipe for Cocktail Sauce?

gladgrowing
16 years ago

Does anyone have a tried n' true canning recipe for Cocktail Sauce,such as Heinz makes?It is similar to shrimp cocktail sauce with prepared horseradish as flavoring. As we buy several bottles a year, i sure would love to make it ourselves at home.

Thanks,

Glad

Comments (6)

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I don't can it, but just whip it up when I need it.
    Ketchup, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, a little garlic powder, onion powder and celery seed.........all to taste.

If I'm really in hurry, just the ketchup and horseradish will suffice!

For me, it's too easy to make as needed to bother canning it. I always have the ingredients on hand. Maybe someone else has a recipe though.

Deanna

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Agreed. The commercially made products usually lose their 'punch' in a fery short time. Its due to the fact that the horseradish doesn't hold up well after being freshly made. The commercial ones add vinegar, and even some red hot pepper to help increase the boldness a bit. When I do shrimp cocktail, I mix up a couple of jars of commercial stuff, add a whole jar of horseradish if mine isn't available, as well as some celery seed, dill weed, corsely ground mustard seed, and even some fresh ground black pepper. The stuff can last about a month or two in the fridge, after that, its boldness nearly lost. If i don't want to toss it, I will add more fresh horseradish, or at least enough to open your stuffy nose... I suppose ketchup could be used, but it tends to make a sweeter sauce. Prepared horseradish is simply dug up roots, that are peeled and cleaned of all dirt, and ground up in a blender with a little added water to help the mixture to move around the blender blades. Be sure not to place uour nose over the open jar as it can cause severe agony to the nostrils..

• gladgrowing
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks - i see the point in NOT canning this!
    Always glad to lighten my load of things to do this time of year :)
    Glad

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Nope, no lighter load..........

Now you've got to make ketchup!! :+)

Deanna (liking the sweet/spicy combo on my shrimp).

• gladgrowing
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hah, Deanna! Ketchup is already in this weeks plan :)
    I also like the sweetness sometimes.

Now, why did i move inland so far away from fresh shrimpies?!
    Glad

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Try cocktail sauce on chicken strips.............ya don't even need to be on the coast!

Deanna (45 minutes from the Oregon coast) :>P

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH