Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning recipe for Cocktail Sauce?

Posted by gladgrowing 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 22:10

Does anyone have a tried n' true canning recipe for Cocktail Sauce,such as Heinz makes?It is similar to shrimp cocktail sauce with prepared horseradish as flavoring. As we buy several bottles a year, i sure would love to make it ourselves at home.
Thanks,
Glad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning recipe for Cocktail Sauce?

I don't can it, but just whip it up when I need it.
Ketchup, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, a little garlic powder, onion powder and celery seed.........all to taste.

If I'm really in hurry, just the ketchup and horseradish will suffice!

For me, it's too easy to make as needed to bother canning it. I always have the ingredients on hand. Maybe someone else has a recipe though.

Deanna

o

Agreed. The commercially made products usually lose their 'punch' in a fery short time. Its due to the fact that the horseradish doesn't hold up well after being freshly made. The commercial ones add vinegar, and even some red hot pepper to help increase the boldness a bit. When I do shrimp cocktail, I mix up a couple of jars of commercial stuff, add a whole jar of horseradish if mine isn't available, as well as some celery seed, dill weed, corsely ground mustard seed, and even some fresh ground black pepper. The stuff can last about a month or two in the fridge, after that, its boldness nearly lost. If i don't want to toss it, I will add more fresh horseradish, or at least enough to open your stuffy nose... I suppose ketchup could be used, but it tends to make a sweeter sauce. Prepared horseradish is simply dug up roots, that are peeled and cleaned of all dirt, and ground up in a blender with a little added water to help the mixture to move around the blender blades. Be sure not to place uour nose over the open jar as it can cause severe agony to the nostrils..

o

Thanks - i see the point in NOT canning this!
Always glad to lighten my load of things to do this time of year :)
Glad

o

Nope, no lighter load..........

Now you've got to make ketchup!! :+)

Deanna (liking the sweet/spicy combo on my shrimp).

o

Hah, Deanna! Ketchup is already in this weeks plan :)
I also like the sweetness sometimes.

Now, why did i move inland so far away from fresh shrimpies?!
Glad

o

Try cocktail sauce on chicken strips.............ya don't even need to be on the coast!

Deanna (45 minutes from the Oregon coast) :>P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here