Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa218_gw

Canned BBQ recipe check?

Lisa218
12 years ago

Hi, I am fairly new to canning. I have canned some jams, peach salsa and some pickles with success. I'd like to can a simple BBQ sauce recipe that is on the back of a packet of pulled pork seasoning. It's just 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup apple cidar vinegar. Would it be safe just like that if I tripled or quadrupled it and made a few jars? Or does anyone have any recipes very similar that are safe? It's just sweet tangy sauce.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

It is just a quick-fix cooking recipe Lisa, not a canning recipe. Most cooking recipes cannot be canned. They have both safety and quality issues.

In this case, not only would the required processing time just be a guess but ketchup has added thickeners, usually corn starch, which aren't approved for canning since thickeners create density/heat penetration issues. Cornstarch also separates during storage.

There are many approved canning recipes for BBQ sauce. Start with the one at NCHFP and check out freshpreserving.com, the Ball Blue Book, and all the other canning recipe sources. You might also do a search here as I know Bar B que sauce recipes have been discussed here several times.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Bar B Q Sauce

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Dave - is cornstarch a "spice" or a "natural flavoring"? Corn starch is not on the list of ingredients for either Heinz or Hunts, which ar the 2 best selling brands of ketchup.

Personally I would be more concerned about the ingredients on the package of pulled pork seasoning than the ingredients in the ketchup.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Good point pixie lou - I didn't pick up on her also adding the packet of spice mix. Thought it was just a recipe on the back of it rather than a recipe for using it. You are right that would be an even bigger concern.

If Heinz and Hunts aren't using cornstarch I wonder what thickener they are using? Haven't bought either in several years since we make our own.

Dave

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

From the company web sites:

Heinz: TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, SUGAR, SALT, ONION POWDER, SPICE, NATURAL FLAVORING.
    KOSHER PAREVE
    GLUTEN-FREE

Hunts: tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, salt, garlic and other seasonings and spices.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I doubt there's much, if any, risk with this sauce, if you canned per the directions for ketchup. But that's not official.

However, I am confused. What is the benefit of canning three ingredients which can be stirred together lickety-split any time?

Carol

• Lisa218
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am aware that it's not a canning recipe, that's why I was asking advice first. I was not planning to add the packet of spice. I was planning to mix up a large batch using organic ketchup bought in bulk, which also doesn't contain cornstarch. I figured if I could make a large batch once and can a bunch of small jars, I could keep them on the shelf and pop one open when I want it. I could also easily bring it with me to our vacation home, give a jar to someone else etc. without being concerned with refrigeration. Even though it's a simple recipe it seems to be a big hit paired with my onion rings and everyone always asks me to bring it along for bbqs.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Then if you aren't adding the spice pack and if your organic ketchup has no added thickeners, it is your choice. But you'll just have to guess at the processing time needed.

You mentioned that you are new to canning. The first rule of canning is that cooking and canning recipes are two different things and that most cooking recipes cannot be safely canned. We all have favorite recipes we would love to be able to can. But we have to accept that isn't usually possible.

When you can something you create an anaerobic environment in the jar that allows bacteria, if present, to grow. How hazardous that is all depends on the type of bacteria.

To keep that from happening you must know the pH of the food and the density of the food and the length of processing time needed to kill the bacteria. We know none of those things with this recipe.

As Carol said, it may well be safe to do. It may not. It just isn't possible to know that for sure as it has never been tested. So it is your choice, your risk to take. But gifting it to others is a whole other matter when you can't be assured of safety.

Dave

• bluebird888
    11 years ago

I'm planning on pressure canning pints of non tested bbq recipe which is the betty crocker cookbook bbq sauce at 10# pressure for 20 min. This is a ketchup base bbq sauce.
    Just heinz ketchup,sugars,vinegar,lemon juice, dry spices.
    Would like to buy a ph food tester meter if it was under $50 if anyone knows of one let me know. Will be calling some of the companies that make these to get more info.
    Does this time of 20 min. pressure canner sound OK?
    I have been all over with diffrent extension agencies to nil.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Does this time of 20 min. pressure canner sound OK?

No way to know. It is just a guess on how to process what is a cooking, not a canning, recipe and that is never recommended.

The real issue with your recipe is the thickeners used in commercial ketchup. They aren't allowed in home canning so it is a "do at your own risk" recipe. Just as trying to use a pH meter is a "do at your own risk" thing since they are so prone to errors.

There are approved canning recipes for Bar B Q sauce but this isn't one of them but only you can decide if the risk is worth it to you.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Bar B Q sauce