Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need stewed tom atoes recipe

Posted by jwangelin WNY (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 22:36

Hi,
Next weekend I will be picking up some tomatoes at the local market. I would love to find a good stewed tomatoe recipe to can. Sauce and ketchup are down the line.
Thanks in advance,
Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need stewed tom atoes recipe

Do you have the Ball Blue Book or the Ball Complete Book? The approved Stewed Tomatoes recipe is in both of them. If not, here it is:

BBB Stewed Tomatoes

4 qt Chopped, cored, peeled, tomatoes (about 24 large)
1 c Chopped celery
1/2 c Chopped onion
1/4 c Chopped green pepper
1 T Sugar
2 tsp. Salt
This recipe makes about 7 pints and must be processed in a pressure canner because of the low acid ingredients. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, cover and cook 10 mins. stirring to prevent sticking. Ladle hot vegetables into hot jars, leaving 1" headspace. Remove air bubbles, add additional liquid if needed, and apply caps. Process pints for 15 mins, and quarts for 20 mins at 10 lbs. adjusting for altitude.

Dave

o
RE: need stewed tomatoes recipe

Would it be a problem to omit peppers from the recipe? (Wife won't touch them)
Thanks in advance,
Jon

o

Nope, you can safely just leave them out.

Dave

o

I made a variant of this recipe, omitting celery, onion, sugar and salt, but I made the mistake of throwing in 1 t. of onion powder and 1/4 t. of garlic powder-I think that should be okay, considering that the spices will take the place of the omitted celery and onion-but does anyone see a problem with it?

o

You can safely add any dried herbs or spices to a product and have it safe. That will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here