Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shelf life of lids?

Posted by grlsixx 9 Nor Cal (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 22:42

My Grandmother passed away this spring and I inherited her canning stuff. It was a treasure trove of bicentennial quart jars, a boiling water canner, and miscellaneous supplies. Just looking through the items made me flash back to childhood, her hot kitchen filled with the smell of peach preserves on the stove, begging for a taste..

I put aside the paraffin wax for future craft projects, but wasn't sure if the "new" boxes of lids were still good. Do they go bad? These have to be at least 10 years old. The boxes are still sealed.

It's been fun working with her canning goods this summer. It's my way of getting a little closer to her, even though she's gone.
Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shelf life of lids?

They are fine. Even better than some of the new ones. Many of us have talked here before about using lids even older. And it has the benefit of using things that belonged to her and the memories associated. Enjoy them.

Dave

o

Although it's not within the recommended guidelines, I've used lids from the 1950's and 60's with NO seal failures.

I'm with Dave on this one. The older are often sturdier with more sealant.

Do check the instructions on the box. The oldest lids will require boiling while newer lids don't. It depends on the sealing compound.

Carol

o

Thanks! I wouldn't have known to check the box to see if I need to boil them! Appreciate it!

o

Heather, this is a bit off topic from canning, but relates to your stash of your grandmother's lids. If you decide to use the lids for canning, you can still keep them after opening the jars by using them in craft projects. Do you cross stitch? They are many patterns available using canning lids, new or used, as the backing for cross-stitched pieces. They can be used as jar toppers (candy, nuts, dried beans, etc), Christmas ornaments, and other things. I expect a Google search would yield many patterns and ideas. I'm a sentimentalist, so things like this appeal to me.

Just a thought,
Barbara in Virginia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here