Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannond_gw

True Lemon Product

cannond
9 years ago

There's a product on the market called True Lemon. It's crystalized lemon juice without any preservatives. Does anyone know if it can be used instead of bottled juice. Sodium benzoate gives me hives. I've been using actual lemons (not Meyer) but they're pricey.

Deborah

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Why not just use citric acid instead?

As far as I know it has not been USDA tested and its pH is unknown (and likely inconsistent since the pH of fresh lemons is inconsistent).

They add citric acid to it so for some reason it requires acidification. Why? Just a guess but since it would be reconstituted by the liquid in the food its pH would be the pH of that liquid. With tomatoes that would be borderline.

Plus per their website the product currently on the shelves also contains soy (pH 7.00+).

So why not just use citric acid?

Dave

• malna
    9 years ago

Reading their FAQ's, they do say many customers use it in canning and preserving, and jelly making (for what that's worth).

The citric, malic and ascorbic acids in True Lemon are there, not because they added it, because they are naturally found in lemons.

Oh, and about the soy, here's the quote from their website:

"Ingredients: Crystallized Lemon [citric acid, malic acid, lemon oil, lemon juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)].

Please note: While the above ingredient line reflects our most current production, there will still be product in grocery stores that is older and, therefore, will have a slightly different ingredient line than above. Our older formulas did contain soy which was used in the crystallization process. Although only a minuscule amount of soy was used, we still noted it since soy is an allergen. Our goal is to continue to improve all of our products so that they provide the freshest taste and the cleanest ingredient lines possible and our current ingredient line is reflective of our continuous quality improvement effort."

So you might find some with soy still on your grocery store shelf.

Linda Ziedrich has an interesting article on her blog regarding fresh vs. bottled lemon juice. The pH of fresh lemons (Meyer lemons excluded) is "...Even a single lemon can show variations in acidity, depending on when you do the testing and from what part of the fruit you take the juice. California lemons increase their acid levels almost 25 percent during curing - that is, in the weeks of storage after harvest. One study found that juice from the stem end of a lemon is slightly more acidic than juice from the blossom end, and another study found that juice from the core area is slightly more acidic than juice from the periphery.

If all these variables make you think the home economists are right, think again. Although lemons vary in acidity, they generally donâÂÂt vary much. The least acidic lemon found among all those tested in dozens of studies, an uncured Eureka from California, had an acid level of 4.53 percent. The most acidic uncured Eureka tested at 6.50 percent, and cured Eureka lemons ranged from 5.71 to 7.42 percent. Lisbon lemons from California varied less, from 4.79 to 4.86 percent acid before curing and 5.25 to 5.32 percent afterward.

Florida lemons vary no more in their acidity than California lemons. In one Florida study, samples ranged from 5.16 to 6.41, in another from 5.24 to 5.92."

Note: her numbers are not pH levels but percentages of acid.

Bottom line, I'd use it. So far, I haven't seen it in my local store here in Podunk Junction, but I'll ask the store manager.

• cannond
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do add citric acid to tomatoes. In some applications, though, the over all effect of lemon or lime enhances the product, like in jams.

Our local stores don't carry the True Lemon/Lime products. I've been watching it on Amazon where, in bulk, it seems to me to be cheaper than buying all those lemons. I don't see soy listed in the ingredients. I'll write the purveyor.

Since most of the fruits I can are high acid, it really doesn't matter, as long as I get that lemon flavor. But, the mango jam is different. It wants acid and lime flavor. I think I'll try it with the True lime.

Thanks, Malna, for taking the time to check this out. You're a gem.

Deborah

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I was addressing it from the safety aspect. If you are using it primarily for flavoring then like malna I sure wouldn't see it as any problem. As for the soy, as malna said they make it clear on their website that it is no longer included in new product but that currently on the shelves has it.

The citric acid is listed as a separate ingredient on the label rather than just as a by-product of lemons. But again, just as a flavoring agent, sure, no problem. I didn't get that was the purpose from your OP.

There is another bottled lemon and lime juice that has been discussed here that apparently doesn't contain the sodium benzoate. I 'think' the name was Trader Vic's but I'm not sure.

Dave