Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure Canner / BWB - newbie question

Posted by KuntryGal (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 22:55

I have a BWB that I have no rack for & I have an old pressure canner. Can I use the pressure canner as a BWB? What is the proper way to do that? Remove the safety valve for steam to escape?

Also, I've read on here about converting the dial gauge on the pressure canner to a 3-piece weighted gauge. What is that? This pressure canner I have is pretty old. I just bought a new seal & a pressure regulator for it. It is a Presto 16 qt. Model 7-B.

Oh, & I do have one of those disc shaped jigglers that has 5-10-15 on it on a Mirro pressure cooker I have. Can that be used for the Presto canner?

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure Canner / BWB - newbie question

You need a Presto weight set for a Presto, not a Mirro weight. Not sure your vent pipe will fit the Presto one, either. You can look at Pressurecookeroutlet.com .

You just sit the lid on and don't tighten down. Don't remove anything. Just leave the counter weight or weight off. Use like any other BWB canner.

o

Is it deep enough to use as a BWB?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 0:34

Do you not have a lid to anything in your assortment of cookware that will fit the 16 qt canner? You can use the canner lid as LindaLou suggests and just don't tighten it down, or look in your cupboards. I have a universal lid that fits my Mirro 22 qt when using it as a BWB, and have found the lids to two large chicken fryer style skillets work too. I retired one of the skillets, but kept that lid, put it in the basement with my canning things just in case...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of places stock universal lids, this one is Walmart

o

Link below is to the parts that are available for your Presto Model 7B. The 3 piece weight set often discussed here will not work on it because of the shape of the vent pipe. So you will have to have your gauge tested (see ** below) to be safe. Gauges can be off even when new.

You can try ordering one of the newer model vent pipes but you can see how different it is and the threads don't line up so it has to be rethreaded in a machine shop to work. It would allow you to use the Presto 3 piece weight set.

I also don't think that model is deep enough to use as a BWB except for 1/2 pint jars and maybe pints. Definitely not quarts. It is not as deep as the newer 16 qt. models. By the time you add enough water to it to cover the pint jars with 1-2" of water it will likely boil over the top.

It is easy to buy a new rack for your BWB as they are readily available but if you plan to do pressure canning a newer model would serve you better.

** There is a DIY method for testing your new gauge but it isn't officially approved. Do a trial run with the canner and bring it up to pressure where the counter weight you have (piece that sits on the vent pipe) begins to rock steadily. At that point your gauge should read 15.5 lbs. If it does your gauge is accurate. If it does NOT note the reading on the gauge to know how much it is off and then process your food accordingly. This is a do at your own risk solution.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: 7B parts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here