Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mallory28_gw

Peeling carrots

mallory28 - zone 5
10 years ago

Does anybody know any 1. scientific or 2. quality reasons for peeling carrots before chopping, blanching and freezing?

Comments (7)

• Christina818
    10 years ago

I don't know what the scientific reason behind peeling the carrots are. I just do what is recommended. As far a quality goes I just pulled my carrots out of the ground to can and they are a dirty bunch. I washed and washed and still could not get all the soil off. So I peel mine because it insures that they are clean. I know that there are many different fungi and stuff that are in the soil. As much as I love and appreciate my soil I don't want to can it and eat it. Just my take on it. I'm sure there is someone on here that will know the science behind it.
    Tina

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Skin is sometimes thicker and hard to eat for someone with dentures or poor teeth. Potato peeler works really well.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The reason it is recommended is because the skin is the primary source of bacteria. Peel them and you remove 80% of the bacterial contamination. That results in a safer food product. Blanching is not sufficient heat or time to kill most of those bacteria.

The skin is also the source of many of the enzymes that can cause spoilage. Blanching will neutralize most of them.

Beyond that it is your choice.

Dave

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

If you're freezing them, I don't think you have to worry about getting sick.

I think the only reason people talk about bacteria and enzymes in relation to freezing is for maximizing storage time. But if you are going to eat them within 6-9 months that is irrelevant, too.

I would not peel them because i am lazy and growing food is hard work! I want the maximum edible content :).

For dirt, I wipe my carrots lightly with a green scrubbie. If I did peel them (I have never peeled a a carrot in my life, but IF) I would use the peelings to make broth, and use that or freeze it for later.

I have a broad selection of broth in my freezer and use it for soups, cooking rice, etc. Very yummy :).

• shymilfromchi
    10 years ago

You don't have to worry as much about pesticide residue on root crops as you should about above ground vegetables if you spray them or are buying them from a non-organic source.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Your soil will build up chemical residue from pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.

• mallory28 - zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone. I don't have to worry about eating them with dentures, but I can't guarantee I will eat them within six months, so I think I am going to peel.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting