Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froggedd

lost Salsa recipe

frogged
13 years ago

Hello all, so I realized after I picked and peeled and cut up about 28 cups of tomatos today that I couldn't find my blooming recipe for the Salsa. I have made it for the last four years and have had good luck with it. (not Annies) I have searched the net and the search here but I can't find it again. My memory say's that it listed lemon/lime juice as its main acidifier, also I remember that it had both red and green bell pepers and hot peppers/chili peppers listed, seperate amounts. Garlic, onion, no cilantro or it was optional, plus various spices. Of course I can not recall any volumes. Im hoping that someone here might recognise this recipe and help me out with the details- kinda imortant in canning... THANKS Frogged

Comments (11)

• frogged
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So.... thoguht I would look one more time. Glad I did it was crumpled up under and behind some of my cook books. Did not see it had to reach back and feel for it. Decided to type it into the computer as to not lose it again. It needs to be re written as well some of the ink has faded and the paper is all stained and greesy for some reason. So tomorow I will I know what I will be up to. Thanks anyway folks! Glad this forum is here great information and help! Frogged

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Since you've got it typed in, will you share it with us?

• kayskats
    13 years ago

be sure to back it up...

• MLcom
    13 years ago

Very glad you found it and think since you typed it up you should share it :)

• frogged
    Original Author
    13 years ago

SALSA
    3.5 quarts tomato I use paste skinned and seeded
    2 cups chillies or bell peppers (I mix red and green)
    2.5 cups onions ( I mix yellow and red onions)
    ¼ cup hot peppers ( what ever you like as hot as you like)
    3 garlic cloves
    1 cup lemon juice ( or lime)
    ½ tsp cumin
    1 tbs oregano
    1 tsp cilantro ( I leave this out)
    Salt peper chili powder and red pepper spice to your taste. Here I prosses in a hot water bath for 10 min
    This is a very simple recipie not spicy, but when I use the Salsa I somtimes will add things like a dash of chipolte spice, depending on my mood.
    Not sure why but this time my finished volume was much smaller then in past years. I only got 12 pint jars. So I will be making more...Oh such fun. Frogged

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

What is the source of your recipe frogged? That seems to be a shorter processing time than most approved salsa recipes.

Dave

• MLcom
    13 years ago

Oh like this one I leave out garlic and put in cilantro :)

Thank you for posting that one need to try it tonight.

ML

• frogged
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it was likely one I found on the web, I was looking for a recipe that had a smaller volume of tomato's, and I didn't want to use a lot of vinegar. My first year I didn't have a large enough pot to cook in, and not a huge amount of tomato's ready in the garden. It worked out well so I continue to use it. I didn't mention above, that I cook the salsa before prossesing, until everthing combines and smells tastes just right. Then pack into hot jars, then into the water bath. It says 10 min but between waiting for the water to come back to the boil and my getting distracted it usually is in the bath for a little loger. I have not had any lids not seal or pop, ususally all the jars have been used up by Christmas or Jan. This year Im hoping to put up enough to last the year. One other note is once opened it has to be used within a day or so, this is why I make it in single serving jars. Now that I have one batch made I may try a new recipe for a change. Frogged

• stewartj
    13 years ago

The National Center for Home Food Preservation has some great Salsa Recipes. I made the tomatillo recipe this year and last and got rave reviews with my recipients!
    Janice

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

I think it was likely one I found on the web,

Then the odds are that it isn't a tested or approved recipe, just one someone made up.

That risk is yours to take but it isn't recommended. There are many approved and tested recipes for salsa (which is a risky food to can) so I'd suggest you try using one of them in the future.

At the very least the processing time on this recipe needs to be increased to a minimum of 15-20 mins. or longer in a BWB or pressure canned. That would still not be a guarantee of safety but at least safer.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I also had a question, I can't find on NCHFP website. Whether it's Annie's salsa or one of the NCHFP ones, how chunky is too chunky? Website just says "Coarsely chop tomatoes and combine chopped peppers, onions, and remaining ingredients in a large saucepan" - it doesn't say "mince" the low-acid ingredients, but I saw a post of Carol's that referred to "low-acid islands". If a few of my bell pepper chunks are as big as my thumbnail, do I have to throw out the whole batch (jars and all) b/c this "low-acid island" could be a source of botulism?

Oh, BTW, I am in the middle of the NCFHP course (have to buy some apples, you're supposed to can apples and tomatoes then answer questions about your product). It doesn't say anything about "stablized" lemon juice, just says use "bottled" (no brands listed) because it's consistent, since it's made from concentrate. So IMHO, any lemon/lime juice made from concentrate (and not just "lemon flavor as you say was the case a few years ago) should be OK. At least I won't worry about using my discount brand in the canned tomatoes I'm doing for the course - I don't think I'd like the taste of vinegar in the chili I'll end up making with them.